2.5 Layers??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe its a layer of thin fleece(alterneative material - wicking fabric?), then the waterproof layer, and the 1/2 layer may mean there is extra lining only on some inner parts, i.e. say the body but not arms, or the arms only?

Dont know, it is a funny concept, but thats what I'd have taken it to mean.

Fiona N

Veteran
One possibility is that the arms have a mesh liner - i.e. half the jacket has a third layer - quite common with the thin windstopper jackets and allows them to work with bare arms (I assume the makers assume you'll be wearing clothes on the torso, so no mesh is required there). I reckon the other two layers are water/wind-proof outer and brushed inner layer - bonded together so it's not like there are two separate layers of fabric. Some Gore windstopper fabrics are like this and are surprisingly cosy given the thinness of the fabric.

bottombracket

I think Fiona's pretty much right on this...

It's not layers as we normally think of them i.e base, mid & outer layers. Breathable materials are a laminate - layers stuck together.

Breathable fabric is normally described as being of 2 or 3 layer - it's a way of describing the laminate...

My Nightvision jacket is 2 layer; the outer layer is the durable bit we can see on the outside, the inner breathable layer is the whitish inside. The mesh is really to stop you rubbing and wearing away the breathable layer although it is more pleasant against bare skin.

My Gore paclite jacket is 3 layer; yellow durable outer layer, breathable layer and fabric inner layer. These layers are all stuck together to make one layer (if you get my drift)

2 or 3 ply would be an easier and possibly more accurate description.

Not sure about 2.5 though - maybe some parts of it have an inner fabric layer and some have mesh (sleeves or back)

Top Bottom