2 Day cycle tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just back from a couple of days touring South Wales .Started in Barry camped near Crynant. Took the pretty (hilly) route using country lanes and back roads as far as possible.

Came back the easy flatter but busier coastal route.

My hybrid Trek copes ok with the camping stuff strapped on. I carry sleeping bag sleep mat ,tent, cooker, pot ,milk small towel toothbrush etc, coffee , Jeans Shirt and jumper for evening . cycle jacklet, camera suncream etc.

I dont think the bike would be happy with much more weight on (nor would my legs :biggrin: ).

Would I need much more for a week long tour if buying food daily ?

Aberdulaiscycletour001.jpg

Aberdulaiscycletour004.jpg

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I wouldn't think so. The thing is most of Europe is pretty easy to cycle tour in -you usually come across a village within 5-10miles in most places. If you carry the essential clothes, tent, sleeping bag, mat, etc that should suffice -no need to carry more. If you can afford it or can do without an immediate cup of tea or coffee in the morning, you don't even need to take a stove as well as the fuel weight penalty (not to mention any extra water you might have to get) -that can save quite some weight. I have to say I do take my stove on longer tours, but I'm doing a short 4 day tour coming up and I'm not going to bother (the luxury of buying food and/or eating out -not to mention the aggravation of the fact I'm flying and I'd have to find somewhere to purchase fuel when I land and dispose of excess fuel when I leave!).

By the way, from your photo it looks like you don't have a front rack or bag -that can be one thing that would help distribute your load and make your ride more comfortable. I have a little front shelf rack that actually attaches to the brake bosses, but it can easily carry my tent and just nicely balances my bike (I also have a front handlebar bag too).

My other tip is not for the fashion conscious..... if you don't mind wearing them, I'd say take Crocs or Crocs clones. Cheap, extremely comfortable, ultra lightweight, waterproof, easy to get on/off coming out of/in a tent, etc. Aside from the fashion, everything about them is good, nothing is bad IMHO.

The problem is that if you are not careful, you can get into the mind set of "well, I might need this if....", and before you know it you're lugging around a winter coat, extra tyre, brakeset, 5 inner tubes, dress trousers, casual trousers, shorts, dress shirt, shoes, trainers, fold up stool, etc, etc.... The real trick is to minimize, and then cut out half of that. Particularly if you are touring in a relatively well populated area, the worst case scenario is that you just bite the bullet and buy what you might *need*. Mind you, that's never happened to me, and I think I pack pretty lightly too. Of course, there's also the consideration of what you need for your own personal comfort -e.g. some people will pack a small pillow, I just use my sleeping bag bag stuffed with whatever clothes I have. It can really depend on you, and what you value too.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for that Nigevy . I think your right that I could do with moving some of the weight to the front.

Couldnt do without my little Coleman stove though, the luxury of brewing up coffee at a moments notice is part of the fun for me.

Being the type that couldnt care less about fashion I think a pair of crocs will be a good idea. Nice to let the feet breath a bit in the evening.

I read a blog about a guy touring Wales, he had a huge tent folding chair and table believe it or not, must have had iron legs to get it all up hills.

Enjoy your 4 day tour. Cheers

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Couldnt do without my little Coleman stove though, the luxury of brewing up coffee at a moments notice is part of the fun for me.
As a self confessed caffiene addict I couldn't imagine life without my little stove, my main footwear is Crocs & I have to take an inflattable pillow with me - I have a curved spine so lying flat is actualy painful.
Agree with Nigevy's commnets & most defo a front rack would help spread/even out the load considerably

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think that's a classic what-you-value kind of thing; definitely take the stove and enjoy it! While I do enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, this time around because of the shortness of the tour and aggravation involved, it's being left behind.

Yes, the whole Crocs thing has changed my comfort level of touring considerably -it's one of those things up there on the top five list of improvements for cycle touring for me. Since I hated walking around in cycling shoes with cleats on, I used to carry a (relatively) heavy pair of trainers for when I setup up camp -not anymore! The weight lost and space and comfort gained has been, quite frankly, a revelation for me. Add in the ease of slipping into these things exiting a tent, not ever worrying about them getting wet and they are fantastic for me.

Concerning the front rack, I was really, really lucky -I paid about six quid for mine (a Nashbar front rack) but I don't think they are available in the UK. If you are adventurous, sometimes you can make a front platform rack out of rear rack -usually you need to fashion your own bracket for it though. I did successfully do it once, but to be honest, given the cost of the front platform rack I mentioned, I didn't think it was worth it and ended up putting the rear rack on another bike anyway.

Yes, try putting some weight up front if you can, it should make a noticeable difference for you. I also heartily recommend a handlebar bag -it's nice to have somewhere to put a map, keep a wallet, tools, a banana, etc that is close at hand and easily accessible instead of digging in your panniers.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hmmm his quote: "Never take two items for the same purpose, e.g. two cycling shorts"

OK, I'll admit, lightweight or not, I need more than one pair of shorts -I can't be bothered spending time washing them every evening! Hey, whatever floats his boat! (question: would you want to be near him if he only has one pair of shorts and shirt? :smile:

This guy does not take a stove and rides in crocs!

Lightweight

Top Bottom