20 Litre Rucksack for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooch

Hi

I used to be a member of the forum a couple of years back but I think my login has expired so I've created a new account.

It sounds a bit lame but can anyone help me with finding a new rucksack please?

I'm looking for a new 20 litre ruck sack for my commute. I used to have a Karrimor 20L Rush Air rucksack which was great. http://www.bikemagic.com/review/rev...imor-Rush-Air-20-Backpack-/RCN/0/rgn//sp//v/1

Unfortunately they don't make these anymore so I'm now looking for a similar rucksack. It has to be around £30-£50, light and about 20 litres. Also long rather than wide. I really hate fat (wide) rucksacks.

The best I have found so far are:

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG2&L=26&P=5050973035

Looks like a winner but would like to hear from anyone currently using one.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Vaude_Bikepark_24_Ultralight_Backpack/5360041331/

This one seems a bit chunky and a bit expensive though.

If anyone owns either of the above or could point me in the direction of anythins similar that would be great.

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Have a look at OMM Adventure Light. Designed by Mike Parsons, former Tech Director of Karrimor.

Although neither that nor the Inov-8 are going to be very robust.

If you want a robust simple pack without spending big bucks... Alpkit do a 20 litre roll-top bag which is definitely long & thin (more so than it looks in the pics on their website.) They are web-only but their customer service & speed of delivery is consistently excellent.

OP
OP
Gooch

Gooch

Thanks Porkypete

The OMM rucksack looks like a definate contender although it will need to be able to take a bit of a pounding with the weather and everyday use.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I should say I've got the 32 litre OMM which i think is fantastic but I keep it for "best" , endurance events really.
For bike commute/shopping I use the 30 litre version of the Alpkit.

Another option might be the Golite Ion - but I've no personal experience.

I bought a karrimor air 25ltr backpack sometime last year. Has an internal pocket for a hydration bladder and hose routing. Mesh back with stiffeners that curve the pack away from your back. Sportsworld, fairly sure it was less than £15. Hydration pack was around £5

Cubist

Still wavin'
Piemaster said:
I bought a karrimor air 25ltr backpack sometime last year. Has an internal pocket for a hydration bladder and hose routing. Mesh back with stiffeners that curve the pack away from your back. Sportsworld, fairly sure it was less than £15. Hydration pack was around £5

I got one of those from Sprotsworld (or Codworld as my mate calls it). Great rucksack, but no longer in stock. Try googling Karrimor airspace. The curved back neans it only touches small of back and shoulders, no big sweaty patches. Has its own integral raincover too.

Been awhile since I last went in the place. Bit 'chavsville'
Shame they don't have any more as I'd got two - my son pinched the first one for school and slowly destroyed it over the course of a year. He now wants another....

I've got a Lowe Alpine with this feature... something like this. Definitely not as sweaty as a normal rucksack!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Berghaus do a airflow back pack, 'Freeflow' or something. But, it being Berghaus its gonna be expensive. Its got a cover that you pull out from the top/bottom i think:wacko:
Millets/Eurohike do their own one thats the Eurohike Manic Air. Thats £19.99 at the moment i think, its got 20% off.
I have a Eurohike bag ive had for 4 years and one side of the zip wont move. But besides that its still fine. Been out in some downpours. Ive rode home from work in heavy rain with no mudguard and it didnt let any water in.
Might not be what your looking for though.
Its got 'rails' at the back and a meshing so you dont get a sweaty back.

OP
OP
Gooch

Gooch

Thanks all for the input. I'll probably go with either the Vaude or Lowe Alpine Rucksack.

historyman

I used to have a rucksack, but don't like having a) a sweaty back; ;) strain upon the shoulders. I therefore prefer to 'take it from behind', ie. using a pannier on a rack.

Bodhbh

Guru
Frustruck said:
hi gooch
This link shows an interesting-looking bag:
http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog...20-litres.p78.html?cPath=30_28&products_id=78
not got one myself. I suspect that type of bag is great if you don't need to keep opening it during a wet ride!
That's interesting, the only similar 100% waterproof rucksacks I've noticed are the Orlieb Flight etc, which are 120 odd quid. If it's anything like rolltop panniers it's probably not too bad too close once you get used to it, in fact fine.

Made a similar post a week or 2 back to the OP, still dithering on what to get, too much info! Managed to unearth a cheap 25l sack which was 1/2price at 15 quid from Millets last year and tbh it's aquitting itself pretty well anyhow.

Top Bottom