2015 Giant Propel Advanced 1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chubbo

Regular
Hi all

A quick question.

Would 2015 Giant Propel Advanced 1 be a good upgrade bike from Trek 1.1 (assuming the fit is good)? In near future I would like to purchase a new mid-level bike (would still keep Trek for rainy days).

I was considering something like Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix, but then saw Giant Propel Advanced 1 for about 1,375 pounds. I am not sure about the need for an aero bike and whether this may jeopardise my enjoyment of bike rides, but this seems like a good deal. Also, I understand that it would be good enough for hills with its 11-28 cassette (compact) - we have a lot of hills where I live.

This bike has all Ultegra components (except for the breaks), and I understand I would need to pay more to get them with something like Tarmac.

Here is the link from USA's Giant website.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/propel.advanced.1/18723/76093/

Thanks for opinions.

Depends on what you would be using it for commute, club rides TT etc

OP
OP
C

chubbo

Regular
Hi lainj.

I would be using a new bike mainly for sole rides on mostly flat or rolling hills terrain. Eventually I would want to join some club for bunch rides, etc, but have not done it yet.

I would keep Trek 1.1 for general commuting and winter riding.

When I started thinking about wanting to buy a second bike, I was considering more "standard" rather than "aero" shapes. However this deal caught my attention since I understand that the Ultegra components and the Propel frame are meant to be good, and the price appears to be reasonable. I do not know much about road bikes, however, so I might be wrong.

Would I even notice a difference between a basic bike like Trek 1.1 and a more advanced bike like Giant Propel? I honestly don't know...

vickster

Legendary Member
If carbon - It'll be lighter, should roll better (especially on upgraded wheels), you'll have more gears with ultegra (assume you have something like 2300 or Sora on the Trek) and smoother shifting. The propel and Tarmac are race bikes, the Roubaix a more comfortable, sportive type geometry, which may or may not be what you want/need/prefer

Whether or not you'll notice the difference, you need to go ride one to be able to tell. No one can tell you for sure either way :smile:

Personally both my carbon and steel bikes are more comfortable and better to ride than my old Giant Avail. Which wasn't a bad bike, but I can tell the benefit from the different frame material and that the others cost twice as much, especially with better wheels

OP
OP
C

chubbo

Regular
Thanks vickster. Yes, I definitely will test this Propel out. I hope it fits well.

Any other bikes costing up to approximately £1,700 which I should consider? Local shops which I am aware about sell predominantly Specialized, Scott, Giant, Trek, Merida, Lapierre, and Focus.

migrantwing

Veteran
All of the above brand names are good. Depends on what you want, as vickster has said. Carbon vs Alloy, frame geometry, colour, design/shape of frame, components, ALL are different things to look at. The last few years has seen a surge in 'newer' bike brands so there's more too choose from, but a lot of these brands share the same factory, so the frames of two or three different brands may be near identical with one another. Find something you like the look of, the feel of and are happy with and don't worry about others' choices. When I got my new bike a few years ago, it was a brand I'd never looked at or considered before, then it became the only bike I wanted.

Good luck.

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi all

A quick question.

Would 2015 Giant Propel Advanced 1 be a good upgrade bike from Trek 1.1 (assuming the fit is good)? In near future I would like to purchase a new mid-level bike (would still keep Trek for rainy days).

I was considering something like Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix, but then saw Giant Propel Advanced 1 for about 1,375 pounds. I am not sure about the need for an aero bike and whether this may jeopardise my enjoyment of bike rides, but this seems like a good deal. Also, I understand that it would be good enough for hills with its 11-28 cassette (compact) - we have a lot of hills where I live.

This bike has all Ultegra components (except for the breaks), and I understand I would need to pay more to get them with something like Tarmac.

Here is the link from USA's Giant website.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/propel.advanced.1/18723/76093/

Thanks for opinions.

I would check out the price of £1375 pounds for the Ultegra model the advert I saw was for £1999.. I could be wrong though.
But a great bike I think.

OP
OP
C

chubbo

Regular
Thanks migrantwing. I will definitely be testing bikes and deciding which appeal to me. The choice is so great that I find it hard to know where to start, hehe.

@Boon 51 - this particular red Giant Propel Advanced 1 (which I linked) is indeed about £1375 in my LBS. I do live in New Zealand, however, and the LBS will also give me a "club member" discount of about £150 from the retail price (which still seems to be cheaper than the UK price which you mentioned).

Boon 51

Veteran
Thanks migrantwing. I will definitely be testing bikes and deciding which appeal to me. The choice is so great that I find it hard to know where to start, hehe.

@Boon 51 - this particular red Giant Propel Advanced 1 (which I linked) is indeed about £1375 in my LBS. I do live in New Zealand, however, and the LBS will also give me a "club member" discount of about £150 from the retail price (which still seems to be cheaper than the UK price which you mentioned).

Are OK... Good luck with your choice. :smile:

migrantwing

Veteran

You're welcome @chubbo. Yes, the range and choice is now huge, makes things a lil more difficult when trying to find a bike. If you can whittle it down to a handful of bikes, then at least you're halfway there. I'm having a similar problem with choosing a wheel upgrade. Happy hunting :smile:

Top Bottom