2023: MizMal in Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Looking for suggestions on places to stop when touring Ireland next year. Have done long distance (500-800km) in Spain, Italy and Greece but thought I'd try closer to home next year. The route will generally be in as straight a line as possible from Mizen Head to Galway, Sligo and Malin Head

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

On the way now but amused by the ferry company taking the bikes off people and bussing you onboard.

Every ferry I’ve been on to date through Europe you ride on and off. Dare I say ‘elf n' safety gone mad. .. or is there another reason?

IMG_3891.jpeg

classic33

Leg End Member
On the way now but amused by the ferry company taking the bikes off people and bussing you onboard.

Every ferry I’ve been on to date through Europe you ride on and off. Dare I say ‘elf n' safety gone mad. .. or is there another reason?

View attachment 690302
The ramps at Dublin Port.
If I remember right, there's one at 20°*. But a wet steel ramp off the ferry, has led to a few people slipping over the years.

*Irish Ferries is the worst one.

I'm assuming you're travelling through Holyhead, which means the van doing the towing isn't insured for use within the port.
No MOT for starters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Dublin to Cork was by rail as Cork is the furthest south you can go on the network. Getting out of Dublin on the last train on a Friday was busy as you’d expect.

Having never been on Irish Rail I read the spec which says you can’t have tyres wider than 65mm as they don’t fit the floor rails. So swapped the 2.8+ which are nice and stable for 2.6. Waste of time as that line has a guards van specifically for cycles though there are not enough fixings. Bikes fell over during the journey so be warned.

Got to Cork in the early hours as the train was delayed but needn’t have worried. Place very lively near 1:00 am. Ireland has changed significantly since I last visited 10 years ago.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg Starting at Cork you have the option of going direct to Mizen Head on the faster N (National) roads or wandering through the countryside on the Wild Atlantic Way. The WAW sometimes follows Eurovelo 1 or sometimes a local route. If you’re on the WAW prepare for cow jams in the morning as they meander to the milking parlour. And you’ll need to clean the bike later from the deposits.

Getting to the car park at Mizen is simple enough but getting to Mizen Head is subject to times and a fee. Got there far too early.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

From Mizen to Bantry along EV1 is mundane but beyond there it gets interesting. Glengarriff is the beginning of the climb over the hills to Kenmare. Looks like one of the towns in the English Lakes as does the whole next section to Killarney.

Climbs aren’t special unless you veer off onto the country tracks and then you need to be on the brakes all the time.

After Kenmare which is a hillwalking centre I stuck to the main roads to get the benefit of the downhill. They make the climbs worthwhile.

Getting to Killarney confirms the Lakes theme with endless hotels and restaurants. Place is heaving even though it’s not peak season yet. But if you like golf, fishing, hillwalking, canoeing and the multitude of activities available, Killarney is the place for you. Personally prefer somewhere quieter.

Attachments

• P1000445.jpeg
    P1000445.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 13
  • P1000448.jpeg
    P1000448.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 9
  • P1000447.jpeg
    P1000447.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1000450.jpeg
    P1000450.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Rail strikes have really messed up the plans so I have to lose a day somewhere. Jumped on a train and found the advice to change the tyres was correct. The 2.6 just fitted into one of the two bike spaces. One of the locals said that in the summer months it’s chaotic as that line is packed with cyclists but there are only two spaces. They’ll try to fit you on if they can.

Another bonus of changing the tyres was the move to tubeless. Have never had tubeless before and was worried the fence wire puncture picked up at the top of Molls Gap would cause a problem. The gloop did its work until I was able to get the bike into O’Sullivans bike shop in Listowel. Great service and a lot of goodies on view while the tyre were checked for any additional damage.

Attachments

• P1000453.jpeg
    P1000453.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1000457.jpeg
    P1000457.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3915.jpeg
    IMG_3915.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

As you head north you have the option of heading to Limerick or taking the Tarbert / Kilmer ferry. So ferry it was.

Wonder if the Orange one has been seen on it?

Attachments

• 9966ACA0-2DD5-44D6-AD6F-C5F3C3B7D24A.jpeg
    9966ACA0-2DD5-44D6-AD6F-C5F3C3B7D24A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

What is there to say about the middle of Ireland? I will leave it to others.

When you leave the Sharon Ferry you can take a left and head up to the coast to Spanish Point, the cliffs of Moher, and The Burren. I turned right through Ennis, Gort and up to Galway.

Galway is another tourist centre and was going to give it a miss but glad I didn’t. Plenty to do and see with a great atmosphere. Had a great evening in Tigh Choili with its traditional music. Get there early and enjoy Galway’s Latin Quarter.

Couple of pics from the LQ

From Galway it was up to Carrick-on-Shannon but no ferry this time. Carrick is one of those places that has developed a reputation for stag and hen parties and was buzzing this Saturday. You can get on a party boat on the river and let yourself go in the 60 minutes it takes to complete the cruise.

If you go the other way out of Galway you have the coast and hills on Connemara and regret not having the time to go there.

IMG_3926.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Heading north west from Carrick you get to Leitrim then across the border into Enniskillan and then through Tyrone on the Northwest Trail. Never been in Northern Ireland but have to say the riding and the countryside is a worthwhile detour. Some great hills and clear country roads. Then there is the guess where you are test as you cross and recross the border. You know you are back in Ireland when the signs change to Kilometres.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3956.jpeg
    IMG_3956.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

To get to the Inishowen peninsula you have to travel on the N13 road into Derry. Not much fun in the morning rush hour but it’s part of the marked WAW. You might want to find an alternative.

Once on the peninsula you’re wandering through hills and quiet roads again. Reminds me of Scotland or Northumberland except there is a bigger population here in Donegal.

As you approach Mizen Head there are more campervans, cars and bikers heading for the same spot. The wider pic shows the tower in the distance. Weather is excellent at the moment.

As you approach the car park there’s a coffee stand which will provide coffe but not much else. Couple of pubs close by though.

And on the wall of the tower there are plaques commemorating the various attempts at a MizMal record. The 19 hours solo attempt still stands as far as I know.But hats off to those that did it on a mobility scooter.

If you are keen and confident in your skills why not take a plaque with you.

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg