24 hour ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm after setting myself a challenge for next year & a 24 hour ride is one thing I'm thinking of. Obviously not 24 hours solid, a cake stop every few hours or so.
Anyone done anything similar & can offer any tips or help?

It would probably be in summer time when there is more daylight, but was thinking start time would be best late afternoon/early evening?
Should I plan a route, or just head out somewhere for 12 hours & then set off back?

Andrij

Über Member
Try a 400km Audax, I believe average times are around 24hrs (usual time limit 27 and a bit).

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Why not try one of the FNRTTC and ride back to London with the mouseketeers, it's always fun (and their's sigs cake :sad:).

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
topcat1 said:
Why not try one of the FNRTTC and ride back to London with the mouseketeers, it's always fun (and their's sigs cake :biggrin:).

That could be a plan, but maybe the York to Cleethopres one next summer ;)

longers

Legendary Member
The 400k audax is a good suggestion.

I'd reckon a midday start to be best, that way you can have a good lie in and still have time to faff, fettle and pack and when you get back you've got plenty of time to eat, shower and go to the pub :eek:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
topcat1 said:
Why not try one of the FNRTTC and ride back to London with the mouseketeers, it's always fun (and their's sigs cake :eek:).

There was talk of riding down to London from Yorkshire and then doing one. That would fulfil a 24 hour criteria ish.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
There was talk of riding down to London from Yorkshire and then doing one. That would fulfil a 24 hour criteria ish.

To L:ohmy:ndon from home for me would be the best part of 200 miles & take me nearly 24 hours, i would need to/be able to do the rttc :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
I did a quick route on "Mapsource" last night, and straight down from the bridge and just head South to a point in the middle of London, came to 170 miles, so plus travelling to the bridge would add another 14 miles to me, making 184, still a good distance, especcially when you have to return too, sounds like a good idea to me for mad dogs and Englishmen. I could be game for some lunacy like this.

Only problem with the quick route I did was, in reality some or a lot of the roads may be on the dangerous side of things, like it did involve the A15 to Lincoln and that road does not appeal to me, but how many others out of our territory are just as bad?

But Summers a long way away still.

mike e

Soltydog said:
That could be a plan, but maybe the York to Cleethopres one next summer ;)

Home to York, York to Cleethorpes, Cleethorpes back home. Job done...:biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Find a buddy. Convince him that a 250 mile day is possible. Head to the (not quite) nearest bit of coast, and come back. My advice, the 3am - 3am slot is far preferable to almost any other.

Samjacksons

Last year I was part of a team who rode 24 hours on exercise bikes, I find that exercise bikes are harder! Anyway we did 1 hour of riding and 3 hours off and most of us found this a lot harder than we expected so my best advice would be expect it to be worse than you think and really prepare before; with sleep, food and drink without these anyone will really struggle.

Top Bottom