24 vs 27 gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Is Voodoo a Halfords own brand? If so that might put me off. Although one magazine I looked at recently reviewing under £600 bikes put the Voodoo bizango on the top.

Too many people have hangups about Halfords based upon a small number of vociferous complainants. They associate all things Halfords to be bad and as a result miss out on some excellent bicycles. Yes, some of the own brand stuff is adequate at best and yes, some of their staff are incompetent but their mid-range and upwards bikes are great value for money and get good reviews. Individual poor experiences do not affect the quality of the products and I for one have been more than happy with the Carrera own brand of MTB and hybrids over the past ten years.

OP
OP
A

Alan Farroll

Getting slightly confused. ;) In terms of getting the lowest possible gear, which will make climbing up hills the easiest, you want a cassette with the biggest possible large cog. So a 36 tooth will give you a lower gear than a 32 tooth, therefore the 36 tooth will give you more hill-climbing ability.

Of course this is somewhat simplified, as the terrain you're riding on will also play a part in your gear selection in order to keep traction.

Thanks HovR. I am getting clearer on this. So the more teeth the largest cassette cog has the better it is for climbing. Is that correct?

Regards

Alan Farroll

OP
OP
A

Alan Farroll

Too many people have hangups about Halfords based upon a small number of vociferous complainants. They associate all things Halfords to be bad and as a result miss out on some excellent bicycles. Yes, some of the own brand stuff is adequate at best and yes, some of their staff are incompetent but their mid-range and upwards bikes are great value for money and get good reviews. Individual poor experiences do not affect the quality of the products and I for one have been more than happy with the Carrera own brand of MTB and hybrids over the past ten years.

Thanks vernon. We are both correct. I actually visited my local Halfords the other day and asked about a VooDoo Bizango because it got a great review in a recent magazine but the assistant didn't have much of a clue and there was only one VooDoo bike that was a small frame so I couldn't even try it

Regards

A Farroll

OP
OP
A

Alan Farroll

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I purchased a Giant Talon 27.5 version 4 2014 and quite happy with it. It has 27 gears.

Regards

AJF

Top Bottom