24hr Vatternrundan ride around lake in Sweden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Titus did it this year didn't he?

OP
OP
Stockie

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Not personally, but I did consider it quite seriously. It's 300k, so doable in well less than 24hr. You need to register on the website beforehand, and you then get a chance of an entry on the day it opens (first come first served I think)

That's the limit of my first hand experience, I'm afraid. I got as far as signing up on the website before realising the logistics of getting self and bike there were a bit much.
Thanks for the feedback Dogtrousers, really quite fancy it as I I'll be 60 next year and it would be a nice way of marking it.

Agree the logistics could be a little daunting though.

If you had a few days available, you could fly to Stockholm Skavsta (with RyanAir - I believe they still operate that service), then take 1-2 days to cycle the 146 km to Motala, have a quick spin round the lake, recover, then ride back to Skavsta.

Maybe not what you had in mind, but doable.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes, back in 2009. I had a 22:30 start and it was about 6C and raining fr a good chunk of the ride. So no tan lines and the attrition rate was about 25% that year.

The route is relatively flat by lumpy bumpy Hampshire standards, with the only significant hills around the south end of the lake around Jonkoping.

The ride is a bit of a thing in the area and the host town Motola really puts out the bunting and the organisation and facilities at top notch. Even into the early hours of the morning you'll get families sat outside their houses, seemingly in he middle of nowhere drinking and cheering the riders.

I made it into a bit of a road trip by getting the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg and then driving across Denmark and the bridge into Sweden, with an overnight stay in Lund. None of this was cheap then and it would be more eye watering now I imagine.

U

User482

Paging @AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Yes I rode the Vatterundan this September and I would highly recommend it.

You need to pre Register interest and then send a submission in when ballot opens in early November. Though the event cost is about £50 it does include food and liquid every 30 to 40km plus a medal and food at the end. The organisation is second to none.

I flew my bike out with SAS at no extra cost in a bike box from Heathrow and the flights and car hire came to about £230 as I booked once I had a confirmed place on the event. I travelled on the Thursday but in practice you could travel quite easily travel on Friday if you have a later start. I started at 23.12hrs. I think the first riders set off at 8pm and when I returned 12 hours and 1minute later cycle clubs were still starting.

The car hire was essential as it was 200km from Stockholm to Motala unless you fancy cycling. Sadly there is a bike ban on trains that during that weekend. Though a bike box might get passed that restriction.

Accomodation in Motala was hard to find as I stupidly left that for a few weeks so stayed about 40km and drove in.

Happy to answer further questions if required.

Top Bottom