26” mixed use tyre, is Schwalbe Land Cruiser the default choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to fit an old mountain bike with a set of general use tyres: bit of road, bit of gravel and occasional muddy bit. BITD I would have happily fitted Continental travel contacts (blocky tread on the edges and smooth in the centre) but these seem to have been discontinued, it looks like Land Cruisers are the obvious replacement. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Many thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could consider Marathons for that but if you want some grippy bits on the sides try Hurricanes, about £20. I've got some on my Cube MTB and they work fine on gravel, poor surfaces and tarmac here.

IMG_20230801_124437.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I am looking to fit an old mountain bike with a set of general use tyres: bit of road, bit of gravel and occasional muddy bit. BITD I would have happily fitted Continental travel contacts (blocky tread on the edges and smooth in the centre) but these seem to have been discontinued, it looks like Land Cruisers are the obvious replacement. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Many thanks.

I've used them on a couple of old 26" bikes for general on and off road use. Hard to wrong with them to be honest, roll well on road and grip well off it. not the lightest but that doesnt sound like its an issue - you're not racing or trying to break strava records!

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm very happy with my Continental Double Fighter ll on my old MTB/Touring bike.

It's true they don't have puncture protection AFAIK but I've never had a problem or puncture in thousands of miles and they roll pretty well and still work well enough for a bit of light off-roading.

I got mine on special offer in Halfords but would happily pay full price. Sadly my local Halfords have since closed.

I think they now make the Double Fighter III although I don't know what they've changed.

The Land Cruisers are much cheaper tyres than the Marathons. Cheaper though, so it probably works out the same. I suspect you'll get more punctures on a Land Cruiser than a Marathon.

My 26" bikes currently have Vittoria Randonneur 26x1.75s. I like those. Very flexible sidewalls although they do tend to get more punctures.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Many thanks for all the replies,

I think there is a puncture resistant version of both the land cruisers and the hurricanes. Looks like the new double fighter III also fits the bill. 20 years ago

This will help narrow down my search for what is cheap, local and available.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I suspect you'll get more punctures on a Land Cruiser than a Marathon

Whilst marathons are very bombproof, I haven't had a puncture on either bike on landcruisers, one of which was a daily commuter in it days. It's now semi retired in France.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whilst marathons are very bombproof, I haven't had a puncture on either bike on landcruisers, one of which was a daily commuter in it days. It's now semi retired in France.

I think I had one - I switched as my other tyres were becoming weekly victims to thorns on the canal in Autumn. A piece of wire had caused a flat. I'm currently on some slicks as my commute is more paved/gravel at present

Top Bottom