28c or 25c best for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of going to Schwalbe M+ and wondering whether to stick with the 28c size I've always used in other makes or go down to 25c, which I hear mentioned a lot in connection with this tyre.

What - in terms of the size difference - are the advantages / disadvantages? Anyone have preferences to share?

I'm using 23mm with no probs and I'm around 16 stone, I'm sure 25mms will be fine.

My winter club bike has 25s, it used to have 28s changing hasn't made much difference perhaps it rolls better the narrower tyre but thats debatable. I actually find the the narrower tyres grippier, I think that's the opposite of common thought but thats subjective too. For the commute I'm using the massive 37s that came on the bike; Its too short to gain the full advantage of narrower tyres but I'll probably go narrower when they wear out.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
HLaB said:
My winter club bike has 25s, it used to have 28s changing hasn't made much difference perhaps it rolls better the narrower tyre but thats debatable. I actually find the the narrower tyres grippier, I think that's the opposite of common thought but thats subjective too. For the commute I'm using the massive 37s that came on the bike; Its too short to gain the full advantage of narrower tyres but I'll probably go narrower when they wear out.

I had some enormous Hutchinson's on an old MTB at one point - relatively smooth central section with more grip to the edges. Heavy frame too. Certainly got some exercise pedalling that bike to work! :smile:

Maz

Guru
I use 23mm tyres year round. Never had a problem with them - apart from too many punctures, but with your Marathon+ that shouldn't be an issue.

I've had M+ on an old mtb and they are a pain to put on... I had to use tyre levers :blush: which was dodgy, but I got away with it :ohmy: They are great though for puncture protection.

When I got my hybrid, it came with 28c tyres which were fine but when they wore out, I replaced them with 23c Schwalbe Stevio Plus. Just as comfy as the 28c Specialized All Condition (even with them pumped up to 120 psi)... but much faster!

I had them about 6 months now and have no complaints.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
I use 23mm tyres year round. Never had a problem with them - apart from too many punctures, but with your Marathon+ that shouldn't be an issue.

me too, although, apart from a couple of weeks ago (new tyres needed), i don't seem to get regular visits from you know who.

Danny

Legendary Member
I used to always use 23mm tyres, but decided to try 28mm last year and can definitely say that they gave a much more comfortable ride without noticeably slowing me down.

I generally ride with a lot of gear on the back of my bike (e.g. laptop and overfull briefcase) so I am really looking for comfort and grip, rather than tyres that will let me ride as fast as possible.

If I was going for all out speed I'd probably try 25mm tyres.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I run 23's during the summer and 25's during the winter for that extra bit of rubber in the slippery conditions. Both are good commuting tyres as long as you keep them pumped up to correct pressure.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thanks all - I'm going for the 25s. Have been waiting to get the last bit of use out of my old Gators, but three punctures in a week (1 front, 2 back - and at good pressure too) has signalled their demise.

Top Bottom