29 points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Thought I’d record this here for posterity.

Wednesday evening, 29th Nov 2023, The Pelican Inn Gloucester, @delb0y was dealt this hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 32

Jotheboat

Thought I’d record this here for posterity.

Wednesday evening, 29th Nov 2023, The Pelican Inn Gloucester, @delb0y was dealt this hand.

Crib?
(And one for his knob)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a screenshot of 29 somewhere from the cribbage game on my phone, which I play far too much. Sadly I can't find it.

On the subject of cribbage ...

My grandad had a great set of rhymes for counting to 31
Twenty two- Nine'll do
Twenty three - Eight's a spree
Twenty four - Seven to score
Twenty five - Six is alive
Twenty six - Five to fix
Twenty seven - four's in heaven
Twenty eight - three's a weight
Twenty none - two's fine.

For a score of no points on his hand he would say "nineteen". On your hand he would say "'ard lines for a gold watch, 'ave a rusty packet of 'airpins"

"Three's a weight" always seems a bit unsatisfactory to me. "Three's great" would be better, but I don't feel I have the right to alter the ancient lore.

gbb

Legendary Member
Had a couple in my former playing days. Must have played thousands and thousands of games, endless leagues and knockouts. I used to love that game.
So long since I played I can't remember how you get to 29..
15 two four six eight for the Jack and 4 fives.
15 two four six and eight for the 5 fives
12 for the 4 fives.
1 for the Jack

Is that right ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From memory I thought the max hand was three 5's and a jack in the hand and a five the same suit as the jack turned up.

The way I learned from my grandad was you got one for his nob if you had a jack in your hand and the turnup was the same suit. If you get a jack as the turnup it's two for his nob to whoever's crib it is. But those two aren't scored as part of the hand, they get scored as soon as the turnup appears.

So according to my grandad's way of playing, the hand above would "only" score 28. And whoever's box it is would have got 2 for his nob earlier on. But rules vary I guess.

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
From memory I thought the max hand was three 5's and a jack in the hand and a five the same suit as the jack turned up.

The way I learned from my grandad was you got one for his nob if you had a jack in your hand and the turnup was the same suit. If you get a jack as the turnup it's two for his nob to whoever's crib it is. But those two aren't scored as part of the hand, they get scored as soon as the turnup appears.

So according to my grandad's way of playing, the hand above would "only" score 28. And whoever's box it is would have got 2 for his nob earlier on. But rules vary I guess.

He had the Jack of Diamonds in his hand, and the Five of Diamonds turned up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He had the Jack of Diamonds in his hand, and the Five of Diamonds turned up.

Duh! I misread the picture. Sorry. I thought the four cards in a row at the bottom (the 5s) were the hand, and the card at the top (the jack) was the turnup. Closer examination reveals my error. I didn't notice the stack of cards under the 5 of diamonds.

My grandad would never have made such a rookie error.

OP
OP
Chromatic

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Yes, I'll admit the photo composition could have been a little better.

Used to play a fair bit with my uncle when I visited the uk. Nevertheless came close to this magic hand.

Fortunately nor did he, however I soon learnt ‘the rules’, as he claimed any points I did not claim in my own hand. Early on, he thrashed me!

Top Bottom