2nd Hand Bike - Tips for buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
barq

barq

Thanks Tim, that's really useful - I shall add all that to my list of stuff to look at.

Well the sale is on Tuesday so I'll report back on what turns up.

OP
OP
barq

barq

Ok, just got back from the bike sale:

Despite the rain there were quite a few people there. As predicted most bikes were Apollo MTBs. There were some better bikes: a ladies bike which was in pretty good nick and a promising steel hardtail (it had been badly repainted so I've no idea of the brand). Unfortunately it was very small - I measured it at about 14.5" (I'm 6'3" so need about 19 or 20" frames).

One guy bought a lot of bikes - I suspect he might have been planning to sell them on. Although I didn't frankly see any profit in what he'd bought.

For a few seconds I considered the tiny hardtail MTB as a jump bike and then thought better of it. (Jumping really isn't me, I'm very much a both wheels on the ground XC guy.) It would have been nice to come away with something to put on a turbo trainer (weather being the way it is and all), but I haven't wasted my money on any junk - so that is a good result. Ah well the search continues... right I'm off to waste some time on Ebay. ;)

OP
OP
barq

barq

It's no big deal - only three mins walk from my office. I'll try again next time. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips - although I haven't bought anything you have helped me to keep my wallet in my pocket for which I'm grateful!

Top Bottom