2rd hand bike is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Chatted at the cycle show to these guys exactcycle.co.uk nice bunch of lad's came about via the prince's trust.

For a fee they will give a 2rd hand the once over and issues a report on it. Before you get your hands on it. May help stop a bad one before you hand over the money.

They also do the same for bike's you are selling. So stop any buyer trying to knock off a few quid making out it's a reck

May help someone.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
are they country wide based ?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Yes believe they are they work via network of local bike mechanic's that they have signed up. The website help's you find one near to you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably they are fully covered by high level indemnity insurance in case the worst happens and they are sued. Doesn't say on the website that I can see at first glance (something like that should be front and centre)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
From their T&C's:

"We cannot accept liability for defects not reasonably apparent in bicycles which are over 4 years old "

and

"We will only be responsible for any loss, damage or injury caused by Our negligent act or omission or wilful misconduct. Except in respect of injury or death of any person, Our maximum aggregate liability to You shall not exceed Our charge to You for carrying out the Inspection. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for loss of profits or other indirect or consequential loss arising from negligence or breach of contract. For the avoidance of doubt nothing in these Terms shall affect your statutory rights as a consumer."

So ... if I read it right if the bike is faulty the most you'll be covered for is the inspection fee?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyone who has cycled more than a few miles (on any bike) should really be able to have some idea with regards to a bicycle's safety. It's a basic, simple machine after all. As long as the brakes work, tyres are inflated and aren't dangerously worn, steering operates smoothly, wheel bearings turn smoothly, drive chain operates as it should, frame isn't cracked, and all nuts and bolts are reasonably tight, then chances are it isn't going to cause you too much grief.

Another example of an opportunist feeding off unfounded fears of the dangers of cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
The website refers to "qualified mechamics", bit doesn't list their qualifications or the body that approved them, so it's impossible to judge the standard to which they are trained. Could be qualified pastry chefs for all we know.

Alan O

Über Member
Anyone who has cycled more than a few miles (on any bike) should really be able to have some idea with regards to a bicycle's safety. It's a basic, simple machine after all. As long as the brakes work, tyres are inflated and aren't dangerously worn, steering operates smoothly, wheel bearings turn smoothly, drive chain operates as it should, frame isn't cracked, and all nuts and bolts are reasonably tight, then chances are it isn't going to cause you too much grief.
That's true, but you do have to get there and see the bike for yourself to check all that. The only useful service I could see here would be paying them to check out a bike before I traveled any distance to see it myself - but even then, £40 would be a significant chunk of the price I'm ever likely to pay for a 2nd-hand bike.

Top Bottom