3 punctures in 4 rides, argh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
This is getting beyond a joke. I've got a Trek Cobia 2013 29er, haven't used it massively over the past year, but when I do I invariably get a puncture. It came with some Bontraged tyres which looked ok, but I thought they may be the problem, so I swapped out for some Mavic Crossroc which had some good reviews on Chain reaction when it came to less incidents of punctures. Anyway, as you can gather, of the last 4 rides out (on and off trails in the new forest, trails being gravel/flint), I've had 3 punctures, 2 front, 2 rear. I'm always very careful to find the bit of flint that caused it and remove it from the tyre before replacing. Anything else I can do without going tubeless? Any advice welcome, it's really putting me off mtb riding!

screenman

Legendary Member
Do not put it off, going tubeless is the way forward. I got a large thorn in my tyre the other day stopped and pulled it out, 5 seconds of loud hissing and hey presto the noise stopped and so did the escaping air, did not even need pumping up and is still inflated in the garage.

Tubeless and Stans, what can be the problem?

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Hmm, thanks maybe Ill have to give in and try it - its just an unknown, Im doing a charity even in the Brecon Beacons later this year - what do you do if you cant change the tube, do you have to patch on the go?

Fill your tubes with slime.

I've had two thorn punctures recently which has brought forward the idea of converting to tubeless for me. Modern tyres just seem to be thinner walled.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Tubeless with reinforced sidewalls. I use Schwalbe Snakeskins, and so far have over thirty self sealed holes over a couple of wheel sets.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hmm, thanks maybe Ill have to give in and try it - its just an unknown, Im doing a charity even in the Brecon Beacons later this year - what do you do if you cant change the tube, do you have to patch on the go?

Not quite sure what you mean, but even riding tubeless I carry 2 spare tube. Just no so likely to need to use them, I have used slime or suchlike on my MTB bikes it seems forever, so would most people around the borough I would imagine.

02GF74

Über Member
that is not too bad. last week it was 1 ride 1 puncture ..... tried to fix it to find the tube of glue dried up so had to fit the emergency inner tube.

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Not quite sure what you mean, but even riding tubeless I carry 2 spare tube. Just no so likely to need to use them, I have used slime or suchlike on my MTB bikes it seems forever, so would most people around the borough I would imagine.

So even when youre running tubeless, if you get a flat you do the same as you would if youd have been using tubes, ie. take the tyre off and put a new tube in, pump it up and youre off? Is it harder to get the tyre off, or not an issue? Ill have to do some youtubing, having never run tubeless on a bike before I just dont know how Ill get on setting it up and managing it.

screenman

Legendary Member
So even when youre running tubeless, if you get a flat you do the same as you would if youd have been using tubes, ie. take the tyre off and put a new tube in, pump it up and youre off? Is it harder to get the tyre off, or not an issue? Ill have to do some youtubing, having never run tubeless on a bike before I just dont know how Ill get on setting it up and managing it.

Well one thing your chances of getting a puncture is greatly reduced, certainly no snake bites, and Stans will stop most things as well. No problem popping tyre off and popping a tube in till you get home.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well one thing your chances of getting a puncture is greatly reduced, certainly no snake bites, and Stans will stop most things as well. No problem popping tyre off and popping a tube in till you get home.

As above. The latex sealant more or less instantly seals any small puncture (up to about 5mm apparently) If you do get a flat, you can use Weldtite worms to fix them, or remove the tubeless valve and stick in a tube. One tip though. If you do run tubeless take a proper MTB pump with you in your pack. I once took a road-type pump as it was nice and small, and my lad managed a snakebite on a really sharp rockstep taken far too fast. The road pump didn't shift enough air to force the sealant into the splits. Another rider came to the rescue with a bigger volume pump. I always carry a small floorpump now., a bit like a mountain morph.

As for tyre levers, well, Nobby Nics on Stans rims can be fitted and removed using my fingers.

The best fitting videos are on the Stans website.

Jody

Stubborn git
that is not too bad. last week it was 1 ride 1 puncture ..... tried to fix it to find the tube of glue dried up so had to fit the emergency inner tube.

Thought everyone would have moved on to self stick type patches. Have you tried them yet?

Top Bottom