3 Speed Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

DSCF4249.JPG DSCF4250.JPG My 3 speed touring bike. Much of it is new, but the chainset is an old T.A. item and the frame is from the seventies, which I stripped and re-sprayed myself. I get almost as much pleasure from building a bike as I do from riding it afterwards. The wheels were built using stainless steel spokes and most of the nuts and bolts are also stainless steel. The rack and bag are old items, as are the pedals and brake levers. What I am looking to do next is to purchase, and then modify, an old Dawes Kingpin.

i hope your going to post pictures of your kingpin resto,@CarlP will probably be interested too , a few of us cyclechatters have an interest in three speed shopper bikes kingpins raleigh twenty etc, some are here

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raliegh-twenty.163443/

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

That looks nice, what frame is it based on?
I believe it's an old Ken Bird. When I got the frame, the decals were mostly worn away. I know it started with a 'K' and the last 2 letters were 'R' and 'D'. The only other identifying features were the Reynolds 531 decals and the wrap over seat stays. The dropouts are not stamped. The fork crown is typical of a Ken Bird frame.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You have inspired me to buy a locally available, large framed Raleigh Sports, 1973, in original condition. Here's a bad picture from the Craigslist advertisement, until I take some better ones. I think I have an old Pletscher rack hereabouts, and maybe a saddlebag as well. My father covered some great distances on his 3 speed, many long years ago. I had never seen anyone in the States ride on the streets and in traffic, except him. But we all learned to do so as well.
00Z0Z_3Nc1IMe3JUR_300x300.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
You have inspired me to buy a locally available, large framed Raleigh Sports, 1973, in original condition. Here's a bad picture from the Craigslist advertisement, until I take some better ones. I think I have an old Pletscher rack hereabouts, and maybe a saddlebag as well. My father covered some great distances on his 3 speed, many long years ago. I had never seen anyone in the States ride on the streets and in traffic, except him. But we all learned to do so as well.

Lovely. People will laugh at the idea but with a larger rear sprocket, that type of bike is very suitable for touring - comfortable with an upright riding position to admire the view, strong sturdy frame and bombproof mechanicals. I gave it a go myself earlier this year on a German built 3 speed and enjoyed every minute of it.

You may have to walk the odd hill but what's the rush?

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Sheldon was a big fan of the Raleigh Sport. :becool:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sheldon was a big fan of the Raleigh Sport. :becool:
I was a big fan of Sheldon, GRHS. A fund of knowledge, well presented, with accuracy and clarity.
My Dad had a three speed Raleigh, but older, IIRC, and with a full chain case.
I had a really ancient 3 speed at university that I think may have once belonged to Moses.
This is the first 23"frame on a three speed I have ever seen.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Lovely. People will laugh at the idea but with a larger rear sprocket, that type of bike is very suitable for touring - comfortable with an upright riding position to admire the view, strong sturdy frame and bombproof mechanicals. I gave it a go myself earlier this year on a German built 3 speed and enjoyed every minute of it.

You may have to walk the odd hill but what's the rush?
In many cases, walking the hill is a nice alternative exercise.
Gets you out of the saddle, freshens your legs.

Top Bottom