30 mile circular ride from Brighton - routes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
any thought on an out and back ride, or better still, a circular ride from Brighton? Big hills not desirable, sea views a plus. I appreciate the A259 is OK, but I wondered if there was something to the east or northeast. Setting off 8 a.m. this Saturday.

mike e

Simon, you do realize your a week early....;)

Tim Hall

What about going west on the A259 as far as Lancing. Dive in the back of Shoreham airport, round the perimeter, cross the A27 then head north up the west side of the Adur towards Steyning. Then, umm, Upper Beeding on the A2037 and along the foot of the Downs past Fulking, under Devils Dyke. Pycombe, Clayton, inexorably East towards the foot of Ditchling Beacon. And up and the golf course and the Madeira cafe.

Ok, it has a big hill, but you can see the sea for a bit.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That's a good thought, Tim, but it occurs to me I could cut it short by returning over Devils Dyke.

That maniac Manotea took me to Brighton once and then insisted we cycle back via Devils Dyke at some unearthly speed. The odd thing is that the tarmac on the road from Devils Dyke to Brighton is sooooo awful that it's easier to cycle up it.

Dell, you could do the Shoreham, Steyning, Upper Beeding, Fulking route; but then, instead of heading back to Brighton, head for Wineham (taking in the excellent Royal Oak pub) and then across to Haywards Heath via Cuckfield and a train back to London or wherever you intend to go. All pretty quiet lanes apart from maybe the very last bit into H.Hth.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you're thinking east from the Madeira then there is a decent route.
Along Madeira Drive - thru the marina - along the undercliff (wonderful sea views) - up onto the clifftop cycle path thru Peacehaven and Newhaven - turn nort on the Piddinghoe, Rodmell road - through Lewes to Offham and left through Plumpton, Ditchling, Clayton, Hurstpierpoint, Newtimber and back into Brighton over the Dyke.

37 miles.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
8 tomorrow morning from the Madeira with as many of the Martletistes that turn up. You'd be very welcome. We'll have a bit of Dr. Biking at the start, and then again afterwards.

Top Bottom