32/40 spoke 27" rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hi all,

I'm looking for a "pair" of 32 spoke (front) and 40 spoke (back) 27" rims to rebuild the wheels on my old Cinelli.

So far I've had three bike LBSs greet this request with anywhere from perplexity to amusement, so I guess this standard must date around the same time as the 1960 bike they're intended for. Does anyone know where it might be possible to get hold of such a thing? Is ebay going to be my only option here? If so, can anyone recommend a good seller?

I'd like to keep the hubs if possible, so matching rims would be much better than new 36/36 27" wheels or a conversion to 700c.

Thanks for your help :smile:

ps - If by chance anyone has some they're looking to sell, feel free to PM me!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
32 spoke rims are easy to find however 40 hole rims, even my wheelbuilder reckons he's struggled and John is very old school, and also past retirement age but as he says "what would I do" and he is also a wire wheelbuilder of note being listed in the Maserati, Bugatti and Morgan owners clubs as a wire wheel restorer and builder.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i know its no help but i have a 40 holed 700 sprint wheel complete with campag hub and a 40 hole new 700 rim and loads of 27" wheels but all 36 hole

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately the 700c conversion is a bit of a last resort, since I don't think my old Mafac racer brakes have enough play to fit these wheels. Plus I'd like to keep the old hubs if possible... looks like there are some around on ebay, but a bit pricey and hard to ascertain how much wear they might have on them!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately the 700c conversion is a bit of a last resort, since I don't think my old Mafac racer brakes have enough play to fit these wheels. Plus I'd like to keep the old hubs if possible... looks like there are some around on ebay, but a bit pricey and hard to ascertain how much wear they might have on them!
oh the joys of e bay

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok silly thought and I'm sure there may be a good reason why not to do but here goes.

Could you get a 32h rim for the back and when you get it laced you miss out every 3rd hole in the hub. This would leave exactly 8 holes.

I'm guessing that 32 spokes should be strong enough but I can't think why it wouldn't work.

Any takers on replying to potentially stupid solution.

Top Bottom