36t Cassette with Deore LX Mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
So I’ve finally got around to swapping my cassette from a 34t to a 36t on my CX bike. The chain length seems ok but I feel the top jockey wheel is too close to the 36t sprocket, is there anything I can do to make this work?

Last edited:
Have you checked the capacity of that mech?
I recently built up a bike with a 9 speed 12-36 cassette on the back.
I thought it would work as the componentry matched my Hewitt. Or I thought it did.
But I couldn't get the XT rear mech to work.
Despite endless tinkering, screwing the B screw right in etc.
Then I discovered that Mr Hewitt had put a 34T big tooth cassette on the back even though the printed specs said he'd put a 36T on.
Changed the mech on my build and all well.

si_c

Guru
Assuming winding in the b-tension screw doesn't work - on the last photo above it looks like it's not all the way so you should be able to adjust it off, you can try two things.

If winding the b-screw in doesn't work then if it's almost working then you try screwing it in from the wrong side - this should give you an extra couple of mm of adjustment.

If that doesn't work then a derailleur hanger extension like a wolftooth road link or a Sunrace Derailleur extender (I use the latter on my MTB to use a 42t cassette) will work well.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Thank you everyone.

The capacity of this mech is, I think, 34t but as with a shorter cage mech (capacity 28t but from experience 30t works fine) I was hoping it would be ok too.

I’ve screwed the B screw right in now and it looks to have given that tiny amount of extra clearance that I needed.

These are actually a second set of wheels with nobblier tyres, I wanted to be able to swap wheels to suit riding conditions rather than faffing about changing tyres. I feel as though occasionally I need an easier gear and already had the new 12-36t cassette in stock so thought I’d give it a try too.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have the same situation on a frankenbrew drivetrain I have put together. I have a longer B-screw inbound (M4 stainless bolt) and will look to a Wolftooth if that isn’t enough.

Top Bottom