3D movies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Saw my first one last night - Pirana. Not sure what to make of the 3D effects. Could definitely tell there was more depth in certain scenes (visually, not in acting) but don't think the filmmakers are quite there just yet.

Anybody seen many 3D movies?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Saw my first one last night - Pirana. Not sure what to make of the 3D effects. Could definitely tell there was more depth in certain scenes (visually, not in acting) but don't think the filmmakers are quite there just yet.

Anybody seen many 3D movies?

Piranha was post production I believe.

I quite like them, at least the ones I've seen made in 3D. Gives some depth to the picture, if the film maker can resist doing the gimicky 'things flying out towards you from the screen' thing and just try to give some depth to the stage, a little like going to the theatre.

I've tended to stick to animated stuff such as Toy Story 3, were the filmaker seems to have more control over how it looks. Have to agree with the OP though - there is still work for them to do on the films and a poor movie in 3D is still a poor movie. What annoys me that there is a premium charge to see them and what seems like a ploy to get audiences to see films that they may have otherwise not bothered with, due to their quality/content by making them in '3D'. Go to see films you would have anyway and don't go to anything just because of the 3D.

(Actually I don't mind the inflated ticket prices too much as I do recognise they probably cost more to make)

I have only seen one, which was 'Clash of the Titans'.

It was a poor film overall, but I was very disappointed with 3D. I couldnt really see much difference between having the glasses on or off. Certainly was not worth the money!

The current (re)fascination with 3d strikes me as a curiosity rather than a mainstream thing. And is it really 3d if it's being viewed on a flat screen?

True 3d - moving images that can be viewed from the front, sides or back - formed from 360 degree projections on particle clouds in a containment device? A little way off I think...

The current (re)fascination with 3d strikes me as a curiosity rather than a mainstream thing. And is it really 3d if it's being viewed on a flat screen?

True 3d - moving images that can be viewed from the front, sides or back - formed from 360 degree projections on particle clouds in a containment device? A little way off I think...

Maybe not mainstream for a while yet but Sky are starting 3D broadcasts in the Autumn and already have had demo events in pubs and clubs of football matches so I think it's here to stay this time around. The technology is much better, no more excuses to buy tins of Quality Street to get the red and green wrappers.
Timescale for one in every living room? Dunno, but think of how fast consumer electronic changes have accelerated over the past 20 years: vinyl -> cassette -> CD -> mp3 or VHS -> DVD -> Blu-Ray and how many people hve changed to fat screen TVs in just the last 5 years?

360 degree projections will no doubt appear just after I've bought a 3D TV.........

360 degree projections will no doubt appear just after I've bought a 3D TV.........

Ain't it always the way!

Thing is, nowadays these advances are bloomin' expensive to keep up with. And what really concerns me is that one day they will turn off the core of 'normal' (i.e. less expensive to watch) tv in preference for the latest trend / revenue earner. It's analog v's digital all over again I tell you. We're all dooooommed! ;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I saw Friday 13th part 3 in 3D at the flicks years ago - utter tosh!

I have only seen one, which was 'Clash of the Titans'.

It was a poor film overall, but I was very disappointed with 3D. I couldnt really see much difference between having the glasses on or off. Certainly was not worth the money!

This one is a perfect example of 3D being added to a movie AFTER it was filmed...and it looked crap. The movie in 2D is ok, but 3D actually detracts from the 'experience' in this case!

Many films are filmed with 3D in mind and the effect comes out passable much better. Toy Story 3, Avatar etc.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Me and Miss Fluffy watched Alice in Wonderland in Imax when it was out, it looked ok but, in some scenes it looked like they had cardboard cutouts. This 3D thing is just a big fad imo.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The "pron" industry in the US is hugely interested in 3D...

They'd welcome it with open legs!
icon_razz.gif

Top Bottom