3rd bike advise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philtofit

The history in brief:
Started cycling last October, brought a Giant Escape; and liked it.
Last November I brought a Trek 1.5, and liked it even more.
I have done 1,200 miles on the Trek, longest ride so far is 60 miles; I’m now averaging 15.5 mph. I’m now on the brink of buying a carbon bike with better components, with a view of improving distance and pace (and because I want one). Key points: comfort, speed and looks. I'm 59, 16 stone and addicted.
I’ve been looking at a number of options, but the main two are:
Trek Madone 3.5
Ridley Orion Ultegra
So the usual request for advice and anyone with firsthand experience of either bike.

Ok, let's break that down a bit. Comfort is largely a product of bike set-up and tyre choice/pressure, while speed is largely a product of fitness (bikes are not fast, riders are) -- which just leaves looks. Looks are very much a personal choice. So the answer is, buy the bike that you think looks best, within your budget.. :smile:

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Ok, my reason for a new bike is a want not a need, I have enjoyed these few months of cycling and want to treat myself.

My Trek 1.5 is a good bike but not that exciting. I'm going to test ride the two I have short listed, in the hope they offer enough positive advantages; whilst suiting me and my riding needs.

I was hoping for feedback from these bike owners and general comments. I have had so many options going through my head, just wanted to share my short list.

no need to justify buying a new bike.. ;)

I haven't ridden either of those bikes, so can't offer an opinion on them. However, your budget appears to be between £1500-1800? I would spend some (or all) of that money on a frameset and transfer your bits across. That would get you a significantly higher standard frame (as well as opening up a much wider range of frame choices), and possibly leave you with a bit left to upgrade parts like wheels, chainset or shifters. Then swap out the remaining (Tiagra?) bits & pieces as future funds allow

You should be able to pick up something like a Ridley Orion frame & fork for well under a grand (one of the shops near me was knocking them out recently for around £750) and build from there. There you go - instant 'bespoke' bike, with an upgrade path.. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A new bike is very nice and go for it if you can afford it but do not expect it to increase your average speed and distance , good bike fit and training will benefit you more than the saving you will gain from a new bike .

Looking at the spec of the trek it looks similar to my bike , a boardman comp and the only thing i would change on mine is a better wheel set .When i go out on club runs i can keep up and its my limited time to train rather than the weight of the bike that holds me back from riding in the chain gang.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Tested both bikes expecting the Trek 3.5 to be the one, but the Ridley was a comfortable and very responsive sweet ride; very impressed. And looks good in blue and white. Went the whole hog and ordered a Garmin Edge 800 to track all my future miles.

2pies

Veteran
Congrats. Post some pics when you have it. I think the Ridley is the better bike, a little different from a mainstream Trek. I've only seen a couple of Ridley bikes on the road and I think they were CX models.

As far as the purchase is concerned, I used to be of the mind that spending big bucks on an additional bike was a waste of money. If you don't race, the top-end kit like carbon frames and Ultegra groupset will make little difference.

But then I realised how much of a pleasure it is to shop around, do your homework and end up buying a new bike that you really love and will get a lot of use of. Also, the chances are that if you didn't buy a new bike, you'd end up spending it on something else e.g. TV, laptop, holiday etc. that would likely be even less fulfilling. You'd also end up regretting buying the one thing that you are passionate about.

I'm not quite there yet. Maybe the carbon bike will appear around my 40th in a year and half's time :smile:

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

2pies. You summed it up well, it's a feel good factor. A little treat and an aid to keeping my weight down. My 16 year old foster son is going to come out with me and use the Trek, which will be good to get him into cycling more. It's old good.

Top Bottom