45/18 ratio, what kinda ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
I'm still a bit lost on all this gear ratio stuff. On a SS with a 45t chainring and 18t freewheel, what kinda riding is it gonna be alright with? I know it does depend on rider but I'm talking generally here. With this ratio are hills generally gonna be a bit killer?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That is about 67.5 inches per rotation of the pedal. Or at 100rpm it's around 20mph.
Can you get up hills. There is only one way to find out!

Bensbikespares

|Whats your Wheel size

Front chain ring (45) Divide by freewheel (18) = 2.5 so 2.5 x your wheel size so say if its 26" it will be 26 x 2.5 =65

the higher the number the quicker (speedwise) it will go

The lower the number the better acclertaion it will go

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I ride a 50/18 and it's fine. The hills around here are for the most part v.steep/short or steep/long and I've not had a problem yet.

That's SS though, not fixed. I dont know if I'd say the same if I couldn't coast the downs...

That's a pretty much run-of-the-mill ratio verging on the low side - but you know already that you really need to give it a go and see what suites you. I run 48/16 which gets me over the mountains in the fens.

yello

Depending on where you live, I reckon that's a fairly safe gearing.

I rode 48x18 (70") around London no problems, and in the home counties without any major problems. I changed to 48x20 (63") around where I live now because it's lumpy, without being mountainous, and 70" was a little too much of an ask.

Edit: I note you're not fixed so spinning out won't be an issue for you.

brockers

I stick 42/18 on for winter (63'') cos it's surprisingly lumpy around NW Kent, and 42/16 for summer as my general utility gear. I actually find that a bit high, and I think I'll be splitting the difference and going for 42/17 on my new build. I'm getting to the age where I have to start thinking of my knees!

tyred

Legendary Member
46/18 user here in a reasonably hilly area. Works perfect for me. When you only have one gear, there always have to be some compromises.

spybot

I stick 42/18 on for winter (63'') cos it's surprisingly lumpy around NW Kent, and 42/16 for summer as my general utility gear. I actually find that a bit high, and I think I'll be splitting the difference and going for 42/17 on my new build. I'm getting to the age where I have to start thinking of my knees!

42x17 is my favourite too...a 17t is also great for skid patches. (If you're into that kind of thing...)

I've tried other gearings, mostly 75" with 42x15 on a long flat ride to clacton at the end of last summer. It was good to that, but towards winter I found it really ground me down up the odd incline - even the small ones around SE London (Brockley etc).

Clearly I like to spin...

Ibbots

Tried a few ratios on single speed and fixed and settled on 48x18 for my commute, a bit lumpy with one biggish hill. Will probably drop it a couple of inches for Winter, the headwind up the last hill before home is a bit of a drag.

Top Bottom