5% 1 year FRB via Raisin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Turkeys economy is doubtful and their leader has weird ideas about it.
I know you would be protected but I wouldn’t want the hassle……

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yeah, not sure I'm keen tbh, given my participation in the Icesave collapse last time around.

Have just done a couple of Santander ISAs at 4.15%; for the potential hassle I'd not say the additional earnings justify the risk..

wafter

👍👍

**Savings have made naff-all for too long !
Nice to be on the right side now 🙏

Absolutely; although depending on what you intend to spend your savings on you're still looking at a net loss of 6-10% annually.

Mine are earmarked for somewhere to live, so thankfully at the moment I don't feel that they're depreciating too much relative to what I intend to spend them on..

Last edited:
Don’t forget the interest on an FRB is potentially taxed at up to 40%

42% up here!

Absolutely; although depending on what you intend to spend your savings on you're still looking at a net loss of 6-10% annually.

Mine are earmarked for somewhere to live, so thankfully at the moment I don't feel that they're depreciating too much relative to what I intend to spend them on..

Liquid savings, always have been, and always will be inflation negative.

If people are lucky enough to have spare funds available beyond “emergency” back up balance, then need to look elsewhere.

It is the price of being able to call on them quickly.

Recall people moaning that their deposit accounts 30 odd years ago were “only “ earning them c10% when inflation was higher.

wafter

Liquid savings, always have been, and always will be inflation negative.

If people are lucky enough to have spare funds available beyond “emergency” back up balance, then need to look elsewhere.

It is the price of being able to call on them quickly.

Recall people moaning that their deposit accounts 30 odd years ago were “only “ earning them c10% when inflation was higher.

Indeed; I guess for a given base rate the bank's making its margin between interest "spent" on savings and that "earned" on debt.. while rates are likely to be lagging inflation since positive inflation is always the goal and especially now interest v. inflation is a joke.. BOE asleep at the wheel indeed.

In other news, the satisfaction in my previous post has been firmly kicked in the nuts by Santandar's incorrect advice to me regarding payment deadlines relative to the tax year, so I actually ony have one ISA, and one ISA's worth kicking about looking for shifty "investment" like that above :sad:

Top Bottom