50 year old record might be broken later this year...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't think I'll volunteer to take his place should he fall ill just before the jump schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melvil

I remember reading about Joe Kittinger's jump back in the day - sounds like a complete and utter rush breaking the sound barrier in freefall and being so high the earth will curve away from you. Of course, it's pretty risky, but in the immortal phrase of Delboy 'he who dares, Rodders, he who dares...'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cool.....

Watched James May's "The Edge" last week - trip in a spy plane upto about 70,000 feet.....awesome....

This guy is nuts jumping from 120k feet plus..........

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
There's a 124 year old cycling record waiting to be broken - George Pilkington Mills' 5 day LeJog on a penny farthing.
Also, there's my 20 year old record but I doubt if the Saudi Matawah will ever give permission for another attempt.

Shaun

Founder
mr_hippo said:
There's a 124 year old cycling record waiting to be broken - George Pilkington Mills' 5 day LeJog on a penny farthing.

5 days ... on a Penny Farthing .... no way ... seriously? That's bonkers. ;)

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Admin said:
5 days ... on a Penny Farthing .... no way ... seriously? That's bonkers. ;)

"Of these brilliant riders the star was George Pilkington Mills. By the end of the 1890s he was regarded as the greatest long distance rider the world had ever seen. He set many long distance records including seven in one season. At the age of 19, in 1886, he rode a penny-farthing from Land’s End to John O’Groats in 5 days." Source - http://www.anfieldbc.co.uk/history.html

Keith Oates

Janner
Interesting reading from your link Mr. Hippo, there is so much to learn about this sport in our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
According to the BBC, many people have previously tried to break the record, but all have failed. How on earth do you fail to break a record for falling from a ludicrous height? Did the laws of gravity get suspended? Just get yourself up there and jump!

longers

Legendary Member
srw said:
Just get yourself up there and jump!

Would the problems have been with getting up there? Or is there a catching system if you change your mind?

There's also a good link to a NZ parachutist on the original link.

From Mr Hippos link - George Pilkington Mills had his own way of dealing with dogs ;)

Top Bottom