6000 miles and shredded!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have my first 100k coming up in just under 4 weeks and so this morning I set out early to get some miles in those legs:smile: I travelled some 45 miles around Bath and Bristol (with a lovely climb up to the race couse) and was within a few hundred yards of my home when....bang!....what the hell was that? I looked down and saw I had a flat...was that the bang? ah well near home. In fact my LBS opens on Sunday morning and as I was feeling really lazy I thought (as I need the bike tomorrow) I will call in and get him to change the puncture (lazy or what :smile: Sorry can't do it said Matt at John Woods cycle repairs in Hanham....have you seen the state of your tyres?....how many miles have you done in these? I thought about it and said...in access of 6000.....now that said Matt is value for money :smile: I now have a new set of continental hardshells on the way and I am so please that I did not discover the state of my tyres during the 100k bike ride.....6000 miles not bad eh....lets hope the new gatorskin hardshells last longer:smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
I think you need to look at your maintenance regime. If your tyres could be as worn as that without you noticing, what else is about to break? Wouldn't want it to happen in the middle of your 100k!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I tended to get 2 years worth (about 8000 miles) from my old gatorskins. About 6000 from the Bontrager racelites.. I think close to the end not only does the rubber wear down but the kevlar/liner protection tends to break up inside a little which also increases the chance of a puncture. Not to mention the sidewalls probably suffer stress over that time.

If your tyres could be as worn as that without you noticing

I was guilty too, a few years ago
Mindst you, it did show how infrequently they punctured (Schwalbe?)

I only looked when someone asked me if I'd been riding through red-paint....................

2007. Yellow Bike. 3.JPG 2007. Yellow Bike. 5.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was guilty too, a few years ago
Mindst you, it did show how infrequently they punctured (Schwalbe?)

I only looked when someone asked me if I'd been riding through red-paint....................

View attachment 59423 View attachment 59424
Ha ha - that is really negligent! :eek:

I've worn tyres out before noticing, but never to that extent.

Top Bottom