63 Miles to 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leecunni

I recently completed the Manchester Blackpool event. We completed in 4 hours 20 minutes, which included my friend spending 1/2 hour in the back of an ambulance (The importance of cycling helmet thread. Sorry !!!;)).

Anyway, I was really thinking of trying the Manchester 100 in September.

I suppose I have two subjects I need some advice on.

1. How to train for the additional 37 miles. What distance do I really need to get to before the Manchester 100? ( I am abroad on a 3 week holiday between now and then).

2. Has anyone done both events and is the Manchester 100 as chaotic as the Blackpool event?

I would appreciate everyones input.

Thanks

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

The max I had done was a 67 mile ride and only ever 50+ a couple of times and made the jump to 111 okay. Feet were hurting but I think that's cleat position related, as they were also huring after 25 miles recently on other rides. I think that once you can handle 50 or 60 miles the additional isn't all that bad - just break it down into 15 mile chunks and stop for 5 mins every so often... that worked for me anyway. Having said that I am not particularly experienced in long rides, so others here will hopefully offer more tips!

Good Luck,
SD

luplowe

Eat well before during and after, plenty of fluid and its doable. but perhaps do an 80 odd first, and if its hot your bum might chaffe after 80 or 90 odd miles so a bit of something or other to rub on it comes in handy. Do the distance first and then worry about the average speed next time..

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Actually my advice would be to not eat well beforehand - the ravenous hunger feeling afterwards is something that will stick in your memory forever!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have ridden both on a number of occassions and find Manchester - Blackpool to be easy and the Manchester 100 much harder by comparison. I know my comfortable limit is around 70-80 miles and the last 20 of the Manchester 100 are very tough for me. So I'd disagree with those who feel the extra 37 miles is not a problem. I can best explain it by saying I can ride 70-80 miles, go home and get on with the rest of the day, after the Manchester 100 I will be totally wiped out!!!! I'm 55, my time to Blackpool was 3 hours 57 minutes, I hope to do the Manchester 100 in 6 hours 45 minutes, my best to date is 6 hours 16 minutes.

It is a great ride, real sense of achievement each time I complete it and it is completely different from the Manchester Blackpool ride. You will see groups of cyclists, but fewer and smaller, plus a greater proportion of the entrants are cyclists rather than people on bikes (nothing wrong with that). The route is far nicer and avoids main roads for much of the way.

My advice on eating would be little and often throughout the day.

jimboalee

I am assuming it is a circular ride.

The CTC say 8 hours. I would aim to get 100 miles done in about 7 1/2 hours.

Total Calorie expenditure will be around 5000. Little and often will mean eating small amounts of Kendal Mint Cake most of the time you are riding. Like a 5g chunk every half a mile.

Best to get a big meal of about 2000 calories down your neck the evening before and take regular breaks at 35 miles to eat the remaining 3000 calories ( 3 x 1000 ), one of which is breakfast.

If you decide to take it easier and aim for a 9+ hour finish, halve the calorific intake because at the lower speed and intensity, your body will utilise some of its fat reserves.

Make sure you drink half a litre of water per hour, or more if its over 16 C.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
If you can ride 60 , you will be able to ride 100.

An extra energy bar, and an extra bottle of water will be enough to get you round

HelenD123

Guru
I went from about 60 to 100+ miles in one jump and it was fine, although the 100 was very flat. You just need to make sure you keep eating and drinking, even when you don't feel like it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
4 x 750 ml bottles of energy drink.

On the move I was eating something every ten miles (from the start) - e.g. flapjack or a slice of malt loaf. 1 bottle consumed every 25 miles.

Finished in just over 5 hours

Set of early. The route gets more conjested as the 100 milers join up with the 100km's after 70 miles (of the long route). It's spread out enough though.

e-rider

crappy member
I find that I can ride 60 miles before breakfast no problem but riding 100+ is significantly more difficult. Things seem to go wrong after about 80 miles. Usually not my legs, but with my back, neck and so on. Perhaps work on general fitness as well as cycling for longer rides.

luplowe

tundragumski said:
I find that I can ride 60 miles before breakfast no problem but riding 100+ is significantly more difficult. Things seem to go wrong after about 80 miles. Usually not my legs, but with my back, neck and so on. Perhaps work on general fitness as well as cycling for longer rides.

Do you use a back pak ?

I used to get back ache until i changed to a suppa duppa cycling sty lee back pak, used to use a hiking bag which was just to big..

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I went from about 60 to 100+ miles in one jump and it was fine, although the 100 was very flat. You just need to make sure you keep eating and drinking, even when you don't feel like it.

Me too. I found that the problems in the latter stages of the century were a sore arse, wrists and shoulders and numb hands - my legs and energy were reasonably ok. It was sheer bloodymindedness that got me the last 30, ignoring the soreness.

And I actually ate and drank woefully little - maybe I'd have felt better if I'd had more....

Randochap

Senior hunter
luplowe said:
Do you use a back pak ?

I used to get back ache until i changed to a suppa duppa cycling sty lee back pak, used to use a hiking bag which was just to big..

Better yet, don't use any kind of encumbrance on your back. If you need to carry anything, put it on the bike.

Top Bottom