650b wheels for rim brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a frame that I like very much, but being a liitle older (me and the bike) I'd like to put slightly wider tyres on t, along with guards. Sadly it as built around 25mm tyres - it can just about fit 28mm tyres but the guards would be tight.

So I had the entirely non-origianl idea of getting 650b wheels for it. This will allow me to fit 35/40mm tyres. I have some bakes that I think will work already. Being an older bike it doesn't have any disc mounts thogh - it's strictly rim brakes.

Sadly all the 650b wheels I can find are either disc only or listed as for e bikes or mountain bikes - the latter two sound like they might be seriously heavy and therefore no fun at all.

Can anyone recommend any 'touring' spec 650b rim brake wheels (i.e. not some single digit spoke-count racing thing, but equally not built to be thudded up and down mountains or kerbs with a motorised hub) please?

Ta.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd suggest a call to St John St Cycles or Spa would be a good place to start. Either would build you a good wheelset for around £300.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can't answer your question, but out of interest, what brakes do you have in mind? 650B rims are (tappitty tap, google google) 584mm diameter. So that's 38mm smaller than the 622mm that I'm guessing are standard for your bike. So that's a rim that's 19mm lower down. So are you planning on using calipers with long wibbly arms, or do you have canti mounts or something clever?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Can't answer your question, but out of interest, what brakes do you have in mind? 650B rims are (tappitty tap, google google) 584mm diameter. So that's 38mm smaller than the 622mm that I'm guessing are standard for your bike. So that's a rim that's 19mm lower down. So are you planning on using calipers with long wibbly arms, or do you have canti mounts or something clever?

I have some old centre pulls that I think have enough reach. I also have a drum brake front hub lying about but as it is a 'road' frame and forks I fear that the forks might be a bit bendy for that. But I like messing about with stuff so I've not ruled it out. It's in a 26" rim atm but I guess I could try it in that wheel given that the drop won't matter at all then.

Big John

Guru
So you'll need 2 X new rims, 2 x wheel builds (unless you're able to build them yourself) and a shed load of spokes. You can't use the ones you already have because they'll deffo be too long. This is going to be one expensive conversion so you can have a fatter, more comfortable tyre (two new tyres, too, of course). If you think it's worth it then it might be doable but those brakes sound a bit suspect. They'll reach down a long way (maybe) and I suspect there'll be a certain amount of judder when you apply the brakes. If you think it's worth it for a comfier ride then go for it but if it doesn't work out as planned......ouch £££. Use the hubs you've got then you know the axles will fit in your frame.

Sadly all the 650b wheels I can find are either disc only or listed as for e bikes or mountain bikes - the latter two sound like they might be seriously heavy and therefore no fun at all.

I wouldn't rule out the "mountain bike " wheels. At least get some more info - a lot of MTB stuff is quite racy (and designed to run with fat tyres and suspension, so don't need to be tank-like), they might be very similar spec to what many would call "touring" wheels.
And anyway, your smaller wheels will be lighter than the current ones, so that might cancel out :-)

Top Bottom