7 Stanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

OMG.......I thought I was ok at this mountain biking lark......but I have been seriously put in my place over the last week. Spent the week in Scotland trying out some of the 7 Stanes routes. Live in Norfolk so chance for decent training is non existent....Thetford and local forest routes my only option. Can do the red at Thetford and have played around on the black but the reds in Scotland are like nothing I have ever seen. Thought I would be OK as have also done the North Face trail in Grizedale in the Lakes but oh no......that's not a patch on the Stanes. It was such fun though.....tried out Glentrool first which was a lovely free flowing course after an easy descent. Then came Dalbeattie.....rocky red which had me off my bike a few times and I ended up opting out and moving over to finish off on the blue. Same again at Kirroughtree and Mabie. Think I need to get my skill level up before I try again but I will ride the Stanes again...one day!

GilesM

Legendary Member
I have heard about this difference in grading before, mainly from people I know in Scotland who have been south, I think it's just the landscape, so much more that you can add to a descent in Scotland than for example, Norfolk. I have never ridden at Dalbeatie or Kirroughtree (I know I should), but I love Mabie, the descents there are just amazing, although I would agree, quite a dark shade of red. If you have another Scottish trip, try Glentress, most of the red is easier, and all of the worst bits have chicken runs around them, and it is very easy to switch between red and blue trails, however, Innerleithen Red, can be very dark red in places. I think it's just what you get used to, the obvious thing to do is spend more time mountain biking in Scotland;)

bonj2

yes there is quite a difference in grading.
hammertree's red is apparently only fireroads, we did the black and it was really just like a normal red.
While at llandegla "black" basically just means singletrack, not particularly bumpy singletrack, very hardtail-friendly (quite good though).
and at CyB black is basically just longer - i.e. black just means "red, but a lot more of it".
Now these scotch places, i really would quite like to go there sometime. especially glentress and inners.

GilesM

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Now these scotch places, i really would quite like to go there sometime. especially glentress and inners.

Well worth the effort, and not really far away, and once north of Preston, a very pleasant journey, stay in the Peebles area for Glentress and Innerleithen, or stay in the Moffat area for access to all of the 7 stanes trail centres and also Drumlanrig.

billflat12

Veteran
You could pay attention to the no.diamonds within the grades . I find southern trails can be disappointing. Scottish trails have more interesting features and realistic grades compared to wales, 7staines offer good variety, & glentress has a good skills area. Laggan trails are shorter but good fun , the red is more comparable to most & black route is quite technical without the chicken runs, nearby is Fort William,s Nevis range also worth a visit. my local welsh centers are commercialized and aimed at safety for most riders , ie. llandegla, is more suitable for hardtails, penmachno is good & nearby to the marin-trail , if you prefer climbs on fire roads and just enjoy fast flowing singletrack penmachno is real gem.

Renard

Another vote for Kirroughtree black. My usual stomping grounds are GT, Inners and Ae. An unsung gem is Drumlanrig which counts as an honorary stane (the same guy designed it as designed Mabie).

GilesM

Legendary Member
If anyone is interested, I have posted a link in the CC rides section about a possible Scottish Trail centre meet and ride, have a look there and say what you think if you are in any way interested.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Renard said:
Another vote for Kirroughtree black. My usual stomping grounds are GT, Inners and Ae. An unsung gem is Drumlanrig which counts as an honorary stane (the same guy designed it as designed Mabie).

A wonderful trail, and if you link the black section in with the Red, it is a really good ride, and a couple of real fun bits.

lukesdad

billflat12 said:
You could pay attention to the no.diamonds within the grades . I find southern trails can be disappointing. Scottish trails have more interesting features and realistic grades compared to wales, 7staines offer good variety, & glentress has a good skills area. Laggan trails are shorter but good fun , the red is more comparable to most & black route is quite technical without the chicken runs, nearby is Fort William,s Nevis range also worth a visit. my local welsh centers are commercialized and aimed at safety for most riders , ie. llandegla, is more suitable for hardtails, penmachno is good & nearby to the marin-trail , if you prefer climbs on fire roads and just enjoy fast flowing singletrack penmachno is real gem.

have you tried raven at brechfa

Top Bottom