7sp conversion kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of converting an old MTB to ss for commute and thrashing around and leaving the decent bike for weekends.

Only problem I'm having is finding a conversion kit for a 7 speed hub, the only ones I can find are 8 or 9 speed conversion kits. Does anyone know where I can get on from or does it mean new wheel and hub for the back?

tyred

Legendary Member
Is it a freewheel or cassette hub? If it's a thread on freewheel, remove it and replace with a BMX type single speed freewheel in your chosen sprocket size. You will possibly have to respace and redisk the wheel. If it's a cassette, I would imagine the 8 speed conversion minus a spacer or two would work.

jack the lad

I made my own spacers for a 7 speed cassette hub using plastic piping. I think it was 30mm size. You might find some spare under the bathroom sink! You need to cut it carefully to make sure the ends are square and it needed the 12T sprocket from the old cassette as well as the locknut to hold it in place. You need to allow for the correct chainline and for the thickness of the sprockets when you cut it.

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
tyred said:
I would imagine the 8 speed conversion minus a spacer or two would work.

Just that, had to use the spacer between the two smallest cogs to get a snug fit but seems to be ok.

Just waiting for a new chain ring, for the front, and chain to arrive and all being well should be able to finish it off next weekend. No more cleaning grit and crap out of the drive train on the nice bike:biggrin:

Top Bottom