8 radical solutions to protect cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
they do it to get ahead of the traffic. So a priority green light would replace this need.
I have a suspicion that those who already run red lights will continue to do so... if they can't be bothered to wait for the green light as things currently stand, and can't imagine them all of a sudden waiting for a priority green.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have a suspicion that those who already run red lights will continue to do so... if they can't be bothered to wait for the green light as things currently stand, and can't imagine them all of a sudden waiting for a priority green.
i don't doubt you're right but this is why they say they do it, so they won't worry about getting fined eh?? ;)

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I see no radical worthwhile solutions there.
The best I could come up with was:

Priortising people over traffic flow.

Sending major roads underground and giving the space back to people.
Taking all road lanes in Zone 1 down to 1 lane and giving the other lanes to pedestrians/bikes.
Having lorries restricted from using all roads at certain times, and restricted from certain roads at all times.
Making zone 1 for non-motor vehicles only, and maybe installing a tram like system for those less fit.
Making Oxford Street pedestrian/mobility scooter/bike etc only, no motor vehicles, and instead have e-bike rickshaws or something like that.
:whistle:
I shall have to put my thinking hat on :scratch:, I maybe some time :tongue: :giggle:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
ban headphones - yes
mandate / enforce lights etc in lighting up time
sadly plod is too busy to intervene and "tick off" poor cycling behaviour tho, unless it was a revenue earner like speed cameras are ....

I wear headphones and I've never found an issue to hear traffic. I can even hold a conversation with fellow riders. Now that I think of it maybe it's the type of headphones that I wear that allows me do that, the feel very loose in the ear.

To my way of thinking a change in the law is a must. In countries such as Holland and France to name just two, the burden is on the motor vehicle driver to prove his/her innocence , in the UK is on the cyclist.

Top Bottom