8 speed cassette - will it fit on a 10sp hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Due to technical problems with my Focus Cayo I need to use my old 8spd triple this weekend for a Sportive.

I would like to use my lightweight wheels which are on the 10speed Cayo. Will the 8 Speed Cassettte simply slip on to the hub that held the 10spd?

Just wondered if anyone had experience of doing this

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Provided you have some spare spacers and it's not shimano's 10 speed specific freehub (which they have now dropped) then you are fine.

I have some Aksiums I'm even running 7 speed on and some Ksyriums that are running 8 speed dura ace.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Veteran
Fossyant

Magic, thanks for that, I think I have a couple of spacers so will give it a go.:smile:

Now the next problem - To get the 10 spd cassette off the Hub (any tips on how to do this when the cassette has gouged itself into the freehub?) :biggrin:

Monkey Boy

Did the same thing Rab.....changed Cayo wheels to the new fangled dura ace CL's whatyamacallits and stuck the Aksiums on Sheryl (Trek 1000 with Tiagra 8 speed set up). A spacer and 'Robert c'est mon oncle'....biggest trouble is getting the spacer.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Veteran
Thanks folks, that's good news

I have the spacer from the Mavic Aksiums so will try that first, I also have another thinner spacer and perhaps could try the combination of the two to see what happens if not, looks like I might have to get one from Disgruntled Goat's link (it does have indexed gears)

Will keep you posted

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rab's still using the 8 speed cassette - with 3mm spacers I hope. He'll just need the aksium spacer fitted first, next to the spokes, then the 8 speed cassette, as the HG lock nut won't tighten without that first spacer. So long as you use the 8 speed cassette's spacers you will be fine - you just need enough of the cassette sticking over the edge of the freehub to tighten the lock nut on.

Hang-on.

If it's a Shimano 8/9/10sp-fit hub, then you don't need a spacer - the 10sp cassette is narrower than 8 or 9sp cassettes so the 10sp cassette will have a thin spacer (1.something mm) behind it and you need to remove it to put a 8sp cassette on.

If it's a Shimano 10sp-only hub, a 8 or 9sp cassette will be too wide and you won't be able to get it on.

You mention a spacer for Aksium - that's different, it like Ksyriums and Cosmics, uses the Mavic M10 hub, which is different - it's a Mavic-fit hub not 'proper' Shimano although it has Shimano splines.
Mavic sell Campag-spaced 10sp cassettes which fit on it (these are wider still), or you can fit Shimano cassettes by using a Mavic spacer (2.something mm) which comes withe the wheels
- to fit 8 or 9sp Shimano, you use the Mavic spacer
- to fit 10sp Shimano, you use the Mavic spacer and the Shimano 10sp spacer
(and to fit Campag, you'd use the Mavic Shimano-splined but Campag-spaced cassette and no spacers)

peanut

If the freehub body is aluminium it suggests that it is a 10 speed only as the Dura Ace freehub is .Any steel freehub body should happily accept a shimano 8,9 or 10 speed cassette according to Sheldon

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Veteran
Well I had a crack at this and no problems :smile:

No spacer needed - when I introduced it, the locknut wouldn't go on.

Indexing - spot on

Put it together on Saturday and on Sunday did the Southern uplands Sportive - worked a treat.

Incidentally, it is an aluminium hub :biggrin:

Top Bottom