8 speed cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I will shortly be needing a new cassette. At present I have an 8 speed Shimano HG31. I must admit to being a little disappointed at it's short life, about 3000 miles. Looking at replacements the HG31 seems to be a bargain basement cassette and I was wondering if there is a better quality replacement for this unit without breaking the bank.

I have always had freewheels that last for years and cost ten bob a dozen to replace! This is my first bike with freehub and cassette so I am not too familiar with what is available.

Erudin

Veteran
Chainreaction are selling the PG 820 Shimano-compatible cassette linked below for £12.99, have not been using the one I bought for long but seems good quality and shifts well. I like the black "Durablast" coating. The nickel plated HG 51 is also good.

sram pg820.jpg

Chainreaction: SRAM PG820 8 Speed MTB Cassette

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-powerglide-820-cassette

Manonabike

Über Member
Compo, I have ordered from this ebay seller

The cassettes are OK. Have you considered Sram cassettes?

I'm sure you know how to extend the life of a cassette to the maximum...... making sure the chain doesn't expand over its limit and all that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think i replaced mine a few months back with a HG51 (11-32), which i paid £10 for from CRC. Theyre so cheap and work well enough for me, i dont mind them being essentially disposable. I guess it depends on your mileage though.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Compo, I have ordered from this ebay seller

The cassettes are OK. Have you considered Sram cassettes?

I'm sure you know how to extend the life of a cassette to the maximum...... making sure the chain doesn't expand over its limit and all that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I have had loads of stuff from WHS over the years, and they have always been spot on and very fast delivery. He is good for older bits and bobs as well.

I have a chain gauge and change my chain when it indicates. KMC chains are cheap enough so they are almost disposable items nowadays.

Oh, and I agree, shiny bits rule!

Davidc

Guru
I only get about 3000 to 5000 miles from each cassette. I prefer the SRAM ones, but use HG51 as well depending on price.

Usually a cassette lasts 3 chains, which have been SRAM for some time since I bulk bought them.

Davidc

Guru
Three chains is good out of a cassette.

I always try to change chains well before they get to 1% mark on the gauge. Observation rather than measurement, but the shape change in the cassette teeth is concentrated in the wear segment from 0.75% upwards. If I leave the chains to the 1% length increase then it's 2 chains to the cassette. With a cost of £6 a chain and £12 a cassette the saving is minimal, but it's less hassle changing chains than cassettes.

After the 3rd chain if I try to fit a 4th it just jumps off the cassette on most sprockets.

Top Bottom