9 day LEJOG completed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi all

Finally rolled into JOG 4pm last Thursday after one of the best days riding I've ever had, hot sunshine all the way from Tain and the A9 was very quiet indeed, amazing views all the way up.

Just a few things, you definately improve your fitness as you progress, I felt really strong as the days went on, the quads required constant massage (just did myself) in the evenings to keep them in good order.

There are no hills that should worry most riders, shap is nothing to be concerned with, we didn't realise we had gone over it until we had reached Penrith, we were still waiting for it.............

Be careful after the Forth Rd Bridge, we got lost which added 11 miles to the 111 we had planned for that day, 122 in total and it rained for 6 - 7 hours solid, it was aweful!! Fortunately this was the only day of rain we had, for September the weather was perfect and mostly sunny, very lucky indeed

The B & B's we stayed in were pretty much excellent, all were able to secure our bikes, below is the full itinery:

Okehampton - Meadowlea Guest House - 01837 53200 probably at the bottom of the list but still perfectly suitable. 3 out of 5. Ok breakfast

Bristol - stayed at mates house - best breakfast out the lot!!

Ludlow - The Mount Guest House - 01584 874084 our favourite, loverly town and house. Ray the owner is a legend, he washed all our kit and gave us a donation for our charity, really nice place, great bfast too. Had my best evening meal here too, at the Wheatsheath pub in the town. 5 out of 5

Chorley - Parr Hill Farm - 01257 451917 excellent standard of accom and again had all our kit washed. Full breakfast not offered which we found strange, boiled eggs or porridge???. Real nice hosts and in a nice town. 4 out of 5 because of breakfast

Carlisle - Travelodge Central - not great but cheap - £10 each for the night, bikes stored in room no problem.

Edinburgh - Travelodge Learmonth - much better and only a little more expensive. Great place to stay as on the main road out towards Forth Rd Bridge.

Newtonmore - Glenavon House - 01540 673701 - all kit washed again and with a cracking breakfast. Great hosts 4 out of 5

Tain - Dunbius Guest House - 01862 894902 - spotless house, really nice. Very good breakfast again, definately one of the best. 5 out of 5

Thurso - The Station Hotel - The only thing missing was Manuel!! Avoid!

The overall standard was really good and people were only too happy to help with washing etc. All were easy to find and none were off the beaten track.

We did 881 miles in the 9 days, fairly direct but all roads we ok, the A30 was the worst but this was really due to the crap in the verge where we wanted to ride, loads of debris and the little red reflectors - a right pain in the arse!

User3143 gave the best advice - 'keep your head together through Cornwall and Devon and you'll certainly finish', the riding gets ALOT easier after these 2 days and you can make real fast progress. The climb into Bristol after 88 miles was the hardest part of the whole ride.

Hope this helps anybody planning their route,accom - really an amazing experience and worth all the expense and time spent training.

Thanks

Robbiep

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
No joke - we stopped at Kendal and suffed our faces and carried supplies for the challenge ahead but it never materialised????

We were riding shotgun and chatting, maybe we went up a fair way without realising. Pulled over for a photo in the layby/viewing place at the top but we thought this was the warm up for the biggie!!!

We were only carrying around 3k's of kit and had done lots of climbs in training.

Yeah, the climb up to the airport (not sure on road) was a monster as we had ridden hard for miles before we hit it, it just went up and up and up :wacko: , it was the A38, just remembered.

Lee I'm sure you'll know, we were on our way to Abingdon services to cut up the A702 to Edinburgh but we stopped in Moffat to eat etc. Instead of going back and to Abingdon services we left Moffat and rode the (I think) A701 which on the map looked like it cut the distance, a bit of a climb out of Moffat? Were we missing something? It was a lovely ride with hardly any traffic, stunning views......

MacLean

Hey robbie,

Been away from the site for a while and im a bit late here, but congrads on completing the trip!

Glad your last day was a good days riding, for us it was total 0 visibility thick fog for our whole last day!

And I agree with lee in that I dont understand how you didnt find that shap fell after kendal even a little bit tough - You guys must of trained better than us!

Did you have any mechanical issues with the bikes or any punctures?

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Hey robbie,

Been away from the site for a while and im a bit late here, but congrads on completing the trip!

Glad your last day was a good days riding, for us it was total 0 visibility thick fog for our whole last day!

And I agree with lee in that I dont understand how you didnt find that shap fell after kendal even a little bit tough - You guys must of trained better than us!

Did you have any mechanical issues with the bikes or any punctures?

Hi Maclean

Thanks for that, like you I've not been on for a while.

Seems ages ago now that we rolled into JOG but still have very fond memories of the whole thing.

Really lucky with mechanicals, my chain started to slip in Shrewsbury so had a power link fitted, solved that problem. The lad I was with was a little unlucky, he broke 4-5 spokes that needed repairing but it never stopped us riding at any point.

I remember you were carrying loads of kit which must have made the trip a totally different proposition, we had about 3 kg's, went really light and it certainly helped.

Got any plans for something else??

MacLean

Yeh after doing the trip you kinda go a bit off bikes and riding for a bit don't you lol.

Sounds like you had your fair share of problems mind, even small problems can test you a bit when your in the middle of nowhere.

Have to admit, the thought of selling my bike has crossed my mind a few times, but couldn't do it. Still want to keep riding for pleasure however maybe when the weather picks up a bit eh?

We have started planning next years challenge which is hopefully climbing mount Kilimanjaro, not bike related but I loved the challenge of LEJOG and think its a great idea to have some kind of challenge to be working on.

Anyway congradulations, im glad we both have postive memories of LEJOG!

e-rider

crappy member
the first two days of my LEJOG were the toughest too.

I also did Tain to JOG on the last day - lovely ride if the traffic isn't too heavy.

Patombr

Hi there I'm planning to lejog later this years. How much did you pay for b&bs. I was thinking of hostels with some b&bs for other nights.

Well done, 9 days.

Pat

Hi there I'm planning to lejog later this years. How much did you pay for b&bs. I was thinking of hostels with some b&bs for other nights.

Well done, 9 days.

Pat

When I come down from Durness in September, I used B&B's a few times, cheapest was 32 pounds most sexpesive was 45 pounds, as I had to take a double room.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Patombr

When I'm home tonight I'll list each price I paid (think i have it filed somewhere) for the B&B's at the start of this thread.

It's not cheap but you do get well looked after which is lovely after 100 miles!!

Robbie

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Sorry, unable to locate, must have trashed it. In all the accommodation costs were around £400.00 with the Travelodge hotels being very cheap, a twin room was £20.00 and you could keep your bike in the room.

I appreciate they were quite pricey but there is alot to be said for a clean, quality accommodation with a hearty breakfast and some human contact that you get at the B&B's, I found them a real pleasure and something to look forward to.

Robbie

Top Bottom