9 speed changer with 7 speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
semislickstick
9 speed changer with 7 speed cassette - it's not going to work is it? Or will it work but skip a few gears each 'click' :biggrin:

heliphil

Guru
yes it depends on which set of parts you have - I have 'old' Chorus ergo levers and a shimano RD with 6 speed block which works fine..

heliphil

Guru
yes it depends on which set of parts you have - I have 'old' Chorus ergo levers and a shimano RD with 6 speed block which works fine..

heliphil

Guru

PpPete

Legendary Member
There is also the "8 from 9 on a 7"

If you have an older freehub that will only take a 7 speed cassette, get a 9 speed cassette, lose one of the sprockets. It will now fit the freehub, and you simply lock out the last click on the 9 speed shifters with the limit screws on the mech.

As ever Sheldon has more detail: here and here

GrahamG

Guru
porkypete said:
There is also the "8 from 9 on a 7"

If you have an older freehub that will only take a 7 speed cassette, get a 9 speed cassette, lose one of the sprockets. It will now fit the freehub, and you simply lock out the last click on the 9 speed shifters with the limit screws on the mech.

As ever Sheldon has more detail: here and here

Genius - yet another example of ignoring the manufacturer/bike shop/man on the street knowledge and using a little common sense.

Top Bottom