A basic central heating question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Not sure who your question was directed to??
I fill it till the needle stops.... which is on the green, about 3.
Incidentally it has, strangely, been working fine since. Maybe (hopefully) it was just a blip.
It will still need topping up every 3-4 weeks which, after reading other posts, I can live with.
With the old boiler I don't remember it ever having such a problem.

I think 3 is too high, our old one was topped up to 1.5 then topped back up when it was down to 1, we've had a new boiler recently and haven't had to top it up yet.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My last house had a combi , used to lose pressure as well. Maybe 2/3 times a year, I was pretty sure there was a leak of a radiator. Very very small. Bit of a pain, to be honest but other than that not an once of bother !! If losing it every few weeks then you have an issue. Check all rads for small leaks as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Incidentally it has, strangely, been working fine since. Maybe (hopefully) it was just a blip.
Too high - that's usually the pressure at which the boiler has to start venting excess pressure through the pressure release valve!

And don't forget - the pressure usually goes up by about 0.5 bar when the heating is on.
I think 3 is too high, our old one was topped up to 1.5 then topped back up when it was down to 1
I do mine to 1.5 and if I need to bleed the radiators it then drops a little. It goes up to around 2.0 when the boiler is in use.

newts

Veteran
Not sure who your question was directed to??
It will still need topping up every 3-4 weeks which, after reading other posts, I can live with.
With the old boiler I don't remember it ever having such a problem.

3 bar is too high for topping up, when the boiler heats up the pressure rises even further & the pressure relief valve opens.
Topping up the heating circuit is normally done when the system is cold, 1-1.5 bar (dependant on boilers user instructions).
when the system heats up it'll be around 3 bar.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Pinhole leaks are often the cause of lost pressure. Most people installed combis in systems that originally had conventional boilers. With a conventional system, any water lost by tiny leaks goes un-noticed because the feed and expansion tank replaces it. When the system is a pressurised one, those tiny un-noticed leaks are enough to cause a loss in pressure.

Top Bottom