A Bike Shop National Frame Register Campaign?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kuota M

Having been the recent victim of bike theft (two bikes) I now understand the pain involved. http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=864464#poststop

My Kuota bike is only sold in two stores in London, one in South t'other North. In this case I was insured but that’s not the point.

Since I bought it from one I went to the other to see if I could register my frame number with them in the off chance that someone would one day try to get it serviced. I was disappointed to see their nonchalant response and left without achieving my objective.

I know there are ways to register one’s bike such as http://www.immobilise.com etc which is good but what about if someone tries to get it serviced at some point in the future and they go into a bike shop?

If a bike shop were to take it in and check it against online register, deem it as stolen, they could alert the police have it impounded. The original owner, if they leave contact details against immobilise or any national bike shop frame register could be traced and reunited with their belonging.

To me, if properly thought out by smarter cookies than I, this could be a practical initiative and one I would happily pay a small one-off admin fee to join.

What do you all think?

Will1985

Über Member
I like the idea, but as you found out I suspect many LBSs wouldn't be interested.

It may still work though - you should commission some smarter cookies to do the leg work from your brief and then take the credit....Bill Gates did that and look where he got to.

Will1985

Über Member
The OP isn't talking about reputable dealers selling....it's about services.

Admittedly I doubt most bikes would ever be taken in to be serviced, but the nice ones bought on the cheap from Brick Lane etc might get used by proper cyclists....a student with limited cash for instance.

I think the point is not that the LBS is selling the second hand bike, but if it comes in for spares/service they can check it against their list of frame numbers.

On this general topic, I note that Brompton's website has a 'register your frame number' facility. I don't know if anyone has successfully used it, but it would make sense if Brompton used their dealer network to check for stolen bikes.

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

I agree with what you wrote User.

I would add that one of the ways a national register could work is if an unsuspecting buyer tries to get a bargain from a market and then innocently goes to get a service they will find out the bike is stolen. If a potential buyer knows that they would never be able to go into a bike shop with a hot bike it would make them reluctant to do so. They may go into a bike shop and purchase a new bike instead which would only be good for the industry.
It may also deter innocent buyers looking for a bargain from going to established stolen goods markets and direct them to sellers who can prove ownership of the bike. If I were the owner of a bike (new or old) and it was listed against my name on a national register, the ownership could be transferred on the register so a new owner can feel secure buying a second hand bike.

Boris Johnson wants more people on bikes and less in cars but has not outlined a solution for protection those that get on their bike. Where are the dedicated CC TV cameras for large bike storage areas? Why are there so few lockable bike storage sheds at train stations?

I got a little off track there, excuse me. My point is that if people want something like this to work, it could be discussed and the holes in it identified and either closed up or worked around.

Top Bottom