A bit excited for tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Just had the 2 very short outings on my new Triban3 since I bought it the other month.

Bit of a wuss at the moment. Being a newbie I would like to get the hang of riding my first road bike, but the weather has been attrocious as we all know. The forecast is looking ok for tomorrow so that'll be me hitting the roads (not literally I hope) on the T3.

Even roped my lad in to accompany me on his MTB. He's obviously a lot younger and fitter than his old man, but with his knobbly wide tyres I'm hoping to give him a run for his money!

Not looking at an endurance test but hoping to get around 20 miles under my belt. (Old fart, not very fit) Planning on building up a bit of fitness over the winter months to enable me carry out the commute to work and decent weekend pleasure rides during the weekend.

Can't wait to get the wheels turning in the morning! :bicycle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good luck, full report expected!

whoop that young whippersnapper into shape lol, have a good ride and try and keep up with him or you will never live it down.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Well, the lad let me down. Didn't get his lazy arse out of bed until mid afternoon.
Had a busy "me" day yesterday so thought it best to do a bit at home whilst waiting for him to get up.
Gave my car a well deserved wash then washed the Mrs's. (Multi Brownie points in the locker!!!)

After my tea I poked my head out of the door and thought it was a very mild evening. Hmm, shame to waste it. Got some gear on, switched the lights on then off up the road on my lonesome.

I live in a hilly area so no chance of a warm up. Straight into the short hill outside my house! Down a hill the other side then a longer climb. At the junction another steady climb but I could see the summit and focussed on getting to the top without stopping. (Don't forget, we are talking about an overweight, unfit and aging newbie here!)
Got to the top of the climb and stopped. Before me was a lovely down hill short stretch but I needed a breather. Took the time to take in the view. A large part of my hometown spread out to my left and lit up like a Christmas tree.

After a short breather I pressed on down the hill..........nice! Back onto a steady climb far too soon. Peeled off to give me a flat section and downhill run to rest the legs which were now feeling it a bit. Heading for home I had planned a relatively flat section which was a good idea.
Returned home, breathing heavily with tired legs but feeling exhilarated. A quick shower and a coffee and I felt brilliant.

Not the longest ride in the world but it was a start and gave me something to build on. Enjoyed it and looking forward to my next ride out.

Kies

Make that route your base loop. Do it twice a week (or more) and you will feel the difference in no time. The main thing is to get out there and spend time riding,the speed and stamina will come eventually :-)

Paddygt

That sounds great. Sadly ;) there are no hills near me but that dose mean I have to pedal all the time, no downhill either. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by the Green Wheel, a 48 mile cycle route that circuits Peterborough. I am currently planning a few sections of this as a base circuit. Good on ya for giving it a go and for taking the time to enjoy it rather than treat it as a gym session.

Psyklon

Well done matey, keep at it!

Make that route your base loop. Do it twice a week (or more) and you will feel the difference in no time. The main thing is to get out there and spend time riding,the speed and stamina will come eventually :-)
Shush with the eventually, took me ages or so it seemed, but then I was I guess very unfit (mind I dont feel much better now), but in all honest I am not great by any means but I ground out to days 30 miles without much drive in me (plus one puncture), and didn't feel much the worse for it.

That sounds great. Sadly ;) there are no hills near me but that dose mean I have to pedal all the time, no downhill either. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by the Green Wheel, a 48 mile cycle route that circuits Peterborough. I am currently planning a few sections of this as a base circuit. Good on ya for giving it a go and for taking the time to enjoy it rather than treat it as a gym session.
didn't think hilly around here till started cycling, true they arn't great, but there are a couple of short sharp ones.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
well done :smile: sounds like you have the bug! :bicycle: if you keep at it youd be surprised how fast the fitness will come to you, just try not avoid (too much anyway) the routes/hills that take it out of you, its those that youll get fitter on, not the flats.

Top Bottom