A bit of slippage. Oo err missus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

Forgive me if I use the incorrect terms here as I'm a beginner. I changed my tyres recently as I was fed up getting punctures but since then I've had problems with my gears slipping. Seems to be predominantly on the smaller cog rather than the bigger one. Any ideas on what to do? I've had the back wheel off but still the same.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Please describe what you mean by slipping. Is your chain slipping when you put the power down? Is the chain slipping on the small chainwheel (front), or is it slipping on a small sprocket (at the back)? Or is it changing to a different gear without any shifter input? Have the sprockets at the back ever been changed? How many miles have they done (since any change or from new to you) - have a guess?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If the slippage started immediately after you changed the tyres, maybe you didn't replace the rear wheel correctly?

Just a thought :smile:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
When you replaced the tyre did you refit the wheel exactly as you had taken it off, are you sure the wheel is aligned properly and any nuts and washers are where they should be, did you catch or knock the rear derailleur when removing or refitting the wheel.

I think it is unlikely that you could go far wrong in putting a back wheel on, if you can change a tyre. I suspect you were getting punctures because the tyres were worn out and the chain and cassette and similarly worn out. That is if the slipping is in the line of drive, if you see what I mean.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I bought the bike second hand off a friend who's had it from new. I'd guess it's only done 3-4000 miles in total. It only started after I changed the wheel. It's not necessarily only doing it when I put the power down but only really does it on the smaller cog on the front. Its a random thing I think. I'm not sure where the problem lies, front or back cogwheel. I guess I could just try realigning the back wheel?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Its a random thing
And it'll stay random, unless you change something, do you not think? If you answered my questions, I/we might be able to guess accurately what the problem is. Doubt this is a wheel alignment issue, but certainly a good idea to put the axle where it belongs and tighten the nuts (or QR) so it doesn't move. Ascertain from your friend whether the cassette and chain have ever been replaced. If not, then it's quite likely they're worn out. That'll cost at least £30, plus tools if you don't possess them. So worth checking that that's the problem - which brings us back to answers to questions.

Top Bottom