A brace of Butlers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
over the last couple of weeks a couple of new to me Claud Butlers from the 70's & 80's have landed at chez biggs

1dt up is a mid 70's Cavalier one original owner from new who under strict orders from his daughter had to give up cycling . Its drive line had more oil and grease on than any other one i have seen .

He had done all his own service work on it and it rides sweet as a nut , and getting better as the miles clock on .

WP_20150809_001.jpg

Next up is a bit later Sierra model with full 501 Reynolds tubing , no idea of history on this one .

My intention on this is to make it nice and light and an ideal winter bike for me or a n other , so have fitted a set of sprint & tub wheels to replace the original alloys . Only had 1 commute and a short test round the block so early days .

Even thinking about fitting a set of carbon drops and stem to help with the weight but will see .

WP_20150814_001.jpg

Last edited:

LocalLad

Very nice. My last bike before I started driving and lost my way with cycling was a Claude Butler...loved that bike, but it got stolen :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a lugless when I was 15 which was 45 years ago, it was nicked.

The Claude Butlers were later made buy Falcon, who to be honest were not the same breed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well here is the Sierra which as you can see has been fitted with a set of carbon bars and stem along with a quill converter .

WP_20150816_009.jpg

Rides nice with these mods as i found it all a bit cramped with the flat bars on

WP_20150816_010.jpg

That's a proper hybrid - of old and new! I'm not sure about the looks of the bars and particularly stem, but I can see the sense in them, not just weight but width, I'm quite wide and vintage bars seem very narrow these days.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit 60 miles now covered with new bars and stem combo and i like it , it looks cleaner than expected and is certainly more comfy than it was .

The tubs and sprints give a nice ride as well and look the part so all in all very happy chappy who just needs to take a link or two out of the new chain just fitted

It certainly does look the part - I could easily imagine that sitting in pride of place at the better sort of lbs with a 4 figure price tag, even the paint job looks proper retro modern!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice. I had a CB hybrid a few years back and spent a lovely afternoon because of it chatting to a very old gent who's first bike had been a CB just before the war, he approached me because he'd not seen one in ages and it took him back to his cycling days.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice. I had a CB hybrid a few years back and spent a lovely afternoon because of it chatting to a very old gent who's first bike had been a CB just before the war, he approached me because he'd not seen one in ages and it took him back to his cycling days.
they have a rather cult following with the older population just a shame the latest ones do not live up to the name

Top Bottom