A chain is a chain is a chain, right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been prompted by a bit of skipping at the back to check out my freewheel and have found to my amazement that I have actually managed to wear the bugger out. (I only got back into cycling about five years ago, and kind of took it as read that things like freewheels last for ever. Apparently not.)

Ok, so I'm getting a new freewheel, and I've heard that if you get a new freewheel, you have to get a new chain. So my question is, can I just buy 'a chain' - this one, eg - or is there a significant difference between chains (and if so, what should I look for?) Thanks for any advice.

SheilaH

It depends. First of all, you'll have to get a chain that matches the number of sprockets on your cassette, ie 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed.

Beyond that they should all work, I think. The choice then comes down to reliability and linking methods. Shimano chains have a reputation for snapping. I like sram for their powerlink, but my husband swears by Wipperman.

02GF74

Über Member
I use shimano chains and have never had a problem with them.

As for chains being all the same, the Shimano LX/XT have a slight chamfer on the links that I can only guess iss designed to make them shift over the gears easier. Whether it shift better or not I cannot tell.

Measure 10 links, if it is over 127.6 mm (from memory) then it is worn - rule of thumb being > 1% increase in length = worn. If you catch this early, you can get to use 3 or 4 chains with the same cassette.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. Particularly O2GF74 (catchy tag!), from whom I've learned that I don't need a new chain after all - my current one (which came on an ebay bike I bought recently) seems to be completely unworn (it does look pretty spiffy). Thanks again.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
andy_wrx said:
Oh no, no, no.

You need one of these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5157

It might be £219.99, but look at the quality :thumbsdown:

17778 Discontinued Each £219.99 This item has been discontinued and is no longer available to purchase.

Damn!:blush:

on the road

Über Member
SheilaH said:
Shimano chains have a reputation for snapping. I like sram for their powerlink, but my husband swears by Wipperman.
In my experience, Shimano chains never snap. The problem that some people have with Shimano chains is that they use an sram link to connect them, shimano chains were never meant to be connected with an sram link, you are suppose to use a HG pin to connect them, as long as you do that they won't snap.

squeaker

Über Member
Wippermann

SheilaH said:
Shimano chains have a reputation for snapping. I like sram for their powerlink, but my husband swears by Wipperman.
Currently swearing at Wippermann, as their 808 feels very rough too me (and the fast links are sensitive to which way they are assembled), so it's back to SRAM for me.
YMMV, of course. There's some words of wisdom here.

Top Bottom