A Cheery wave from sunny Southport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave_79

:hello:
Hi all, I am Dave from Southport and I'm 31. I'm not exactly a cycling noob, but have hardly ridden in the 9 years i have lived here due to a mixture of laziness (mostly!), having a young family and my work. I used to ride frequently but only shortish distances when i lived in Scarborough where I grew up. As its been such a rubbish, long, dark and cold winter I was determined this Spring to get back on my bike and make the most of the sunny days wherever i get chance to.

In the last couple of weeks I had the gears fixed on my Raleigh Gritstone MTB that i've had since i was about 15, and went out and bought a Cateye Velo 8 computer and on Thurs did a 32 mile ride and thoroughly enjoyed it though my legs and knees felt it towards the end! Also the P******* F**** stayed away which was an added bonus!

My goals for the year are to enjoy riding, explore the local areas more and do a 40 miler and possibly a 50 miler.

See you around!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. You are ideally placed for a round trip C2C. Give it a week or two though first!

OP
OP
D

dave_79

Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. You are ideally placed for a round trip C2C. Give it a week or two though first!

thanks! i did part of the TPT 62 route and it was fun. i think i'll be giving it a few years before doing a CTC though. I did St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay CTC but just as part of a charity relay where we did like 5 miles each then swapped, so there was always somebody riding while the others followed in a Landrover with spare bikes on the top, the idea was that it was non-stop riding so we got across the country on bikes in 12 hours. It seems like years ago now, as one of the weaker riders i had the easier legs so gladly missed out Hardknott and Wrynose passes! I would love to do a CTC properly sometime though.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hello
I am doing the C2C next week Fri/Sat and the realisation has just set in that we should be doing later in the year after some good length rides.

E11a

Welcome Dave!

There are some fantastic routes around Southport, my favourites being through the pine woods and down to Crosby, and through Burscough and Parbold to Wigan. There are plenty of places to places to stop along the canal too!

E.

OP
OP
D

dave_79

Welcome Dave!

There are some fantastic routes around Southport, my favourites being through the pine woods and down to Crosby, and through Burscough and Parbold to Wigan. There are plenty of places to places to stop along the canal too!

E.

great, any tips on routes welcome! escpecially roads i should either use or avoid, like i said i have not cycled much around here at all so any help appreciated. How far along the canal do you go? I'm no racer but i guess its fairly slow/lots of walkers?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome to the forum. Coincidentally, I was in Southport this afternoon, although not with a bike, and I did notice a few cycle route signs and thought it looked like a nice area to ride in!

I love the penny farthing bike stands too!

Shrim

Hi Dave and Welcome,

I was also in Southport this morning having cycled there from St. Helens. I went there via Halsall and this way is a really nice ride, very little traffic and lovely views. Then came through Birkdale and stopped off at the first greasy spoon on Lord Street before cycling home.

Total distance from St. Helens to Southport and back is 46 miles so a good candidate for your first 40 miler.

Shrim.

OP
OP
D

dave_79

Hi Dave and Welcome,

I was also in Southport this morning having cycled there from St. Helens. I went there via Halsall and this way is a really nice ride, very little traffic and lovely views. Then came through Birkdale and stopped off at the first greasy spoon on Lord Street before cycling home.

Total distance from St. Helens to Southport and back is 46 miles so a good candidate for your first 40 miler.

Shrim.

Sounds good, that. Care to share more on the route? I don't know St Helens well in a car let alone a bike. Any help appreciated!

Shrim

Sounds good, that. Care to share more on the route? I don't know St Helens well in a car let alone a bike. Any help appreciated!

Hi Dave,

See this link for my route. Don't worry, I don't expect you to come to my house but it can be quite easily turned into a loop when you reach the A580 (east lancs road) by going towards Liverpool then darting back North up Coach Road and through Bickerstaffe. Again another nice route and loads of cyclists round there.

Top Bottom