A couple of problems?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfiinger

Hey all, I recently picked up a wilier single speed bike. Lovely frame so i couldn't say no.

However I'm now trying to change it back to a multi speed so i can use it to commute to work.

I'm going with Campagnolo Mirage range to start with, however i'm running into a few teething problems.

3 problems & once solved i'll be off and flying, hopefully you guys have a little more knowledge than me and we can get them sorted. ;)

1st. The front derailleur is to big/wide and doesn't grip the frame at all. Although I bought it new it didn't come with any packers to adjust it to the size of the frame, like i think some of the shimano ones come with.

Should it have come with these ? Can i pick any up from anywhere for it, or should I look for a different derailler that fits proper?

2nd problem. It turns out the back hub is shimano which means my rear cassette which is campagnolo doesnt fit. Is there a simple work round that isn't to expensive, ie can I buy a part to change the rear hub into a Campagnolo friendly one, and if so what part should I be looking for?

3rd. Hmm I'm going to leave it there for now lol lets see if we can deal with the first two before I tell you all about the third and hopefully final problem.

Thanks for the advice in advance :biggrin: :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it a proper 'track' frame ? (not a converted single speed)

If it is, the rear is 120mm wide....you need 130mm for a geared hub.

OP
OP
G

Goldfiinger

Hmm i'm not sure, but it had a blank covering the shimano hub, as if gears had been on there in the past, plus the frame has all the bits to hold the wires in place and the rear derailleur attaches.

I had assumed it was converted into a single speed, how could i tell the difference?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Aye, that'll be a converted road frame.

I think you can get cassettes that fit Shimano freehub splines, but with sprockets that are spaced the same as Campag.

OP
OP
G

Goldfiinger

GrasB said:
Ambrosio do Campag/Shimano combination cassettes, only seen them in 10 speed variants though.

Ok this sounds as tho it would work for me, but before i buy a part that doesnt fit, how would i know if my frame can take a 10 speed cassette or doesn't it matter ?

GrasB

Veteran
If it takes a 130mm wheel it'll take a 10sp cassette. The question is if the wheel can take the cassette I believe.

OP
OP
G

Goldfiinger

Ok thats great I've ordered the cassette.

Thanks everyone for the advice,

Now the other issue was with the front derailleur being to big, anyone know why this wouldn't have come with spacers/packers like the shimano's do? and what can i do to fix it ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Band-on road mechs come in different sizes. As far as I know, mostly Shimano MTB mechs are one-size-fits-all using spacer-ey things. Check this one from Wiggle - it comes in different sizes.
You could try asking the LBS if they have any spare spacers?

Now, what's the third problem?

OP
OP
G

Goldfiinger

Thanks I'l give it a measure and see what size i need. These front derailleurs don't have to be the same brand as the rest of the setup do they? Apart from the band size what else do I need to bear in mind when picking one?

PpPete

Legendary Member
There are 3 common band sizes for the FD
Shimano sell a 28.6/31.8 "multifit" but it's really a 31.8 with a spacer.

I think SJS do spacers separately. Or if you get a "braze-on" style mech, you can buy an appropriate diameter clamp that mimics the shape of a brazed-on fitting.

The other things you need to make sure is to get a "triple" mech if you are putting a triple chainset on, and some FDs (especially for MTBs) are top pull rather than bottom pull.

Top Bottom