A couple of weeks in Tuscany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fattman

Hope this is the correct neck of the woods for sharing this sort of thing... Not advice or a guide, just wanted to share a great cycling experience.

Just got back from a very satisfactory couple of weeks with the family and another spent in a villa near Greve in Chianti - about 30 miles south of Florence. That would be all very nice but not relevant to Cycle Chat except that we hired a couple of Wilier CF road bikes in Siena and made fairly good use of them.

The Bikes:
A pair of, I believe, Wilier Mortirolo Mirages (similar to this) with Fulcrum 7 wheels and Campag Mirage. They were pretty lively - in my mate Charlie's much more skilled hands his would descend like a rocket (mine like a soggy pair of pants from a badly pegged washingline), and they were solid at speed. I'm a Shimano guy historically, but I liked the very definite shifting of the Campag even though I kept pressing the wrong bits at the wrong times! Overall the bikes were not super-light, but they were certainly good fast steeds. Got them from DF Bikes in Siena, a very pleasant experience ('Mr DF' has got a *lot* of trophies gathering dust on his shelves!).

The Rides:
Gotta like hills! A typical 30mile (see 'The Deal' below) loop would contain ~1100m climb, in three or 4 hills and no flat whatsoever. Fantastic rides, though; long steady climbs @4-7 percent, then long swooshy descents similar, mixed in with 10-15% on smaller roads with more technical hairpin descents (I am rubbish at these!)(though better than I was!). All the while being distracted by excruciatingly gorgeous views of vineyards, olive groves, terracotta & cream villas and cypress-spotted forests all bathed in golden Tuscan sunlight. Serious wow at every turn! Longest trip was a 60mile loop that took in a fabulous 20km continuous climb from Poggibonsi to Castellini in Chianti. Ridiculously beautiful.

The Deal:
So we're there for a two-week family holiday including lots of recovery time for us poor over-worked chaps - there was me & the Mrs & two small kids, same for Charlie & his. Mrs Fattman is a keen rider who can fit the same frame as me, so we ended up cutting a deal where we would get up early (6am - still a bit dark) and punch in the ride returning before breakfast is fully underway. While this was not totally conducive to the leisurely coffee-shop-punctuated ride I might ideally have hoped for, it meant that the impact on the family was minimised, and it fed the bike-addiction! Because there were two bikes and 3 riders, a 2-days-on-1-day-off rota formed, enabling proper Chianti/Peroni sampling. A major plus was that certainly in the first week it was minging hot; peaking at 36C+ meant that after 10am it was proper roasting and not massive fun.

The Summary:
Since there was no great point to this except to share a happy experience there's not great summary except maybe that it is possible to have a proper relaxing family holiday in the sun while hooning round at speed on fast bikes. Fingers crossed that all holidays can work out so well!

Oh, and one last thing; we did our 60mile ride on a Sunday, took about 3:45 - we must have seen upwards of 200 riders out in their finery, and at no point did we get hassled by drivers.

Happy riding!

Matt

Ball

Top post, thanks for the read. I've wanted to ride around Tuscany for a long time, this may just give me the impetus.

Fiona N

Veteran
I adore riding anywhere in Italy but Tuscany is especially lovely. I've spent a fair amount of time in southern Tuscany - Manciano which is close to the volcanic crater lakes (e.g. Lago Bolsena) and hot springs (Saturnia) and it perfect for riding from a fixed base or touring. It's much quieter and less touristy that central Tuscany and not many people speak English (but I was learning Italian, so a good opportunity). Northern Tuscany is also great - Barga and Lucca both make good bases for exploring the hills as well as being fabulous places in their own right.

Top Bottom