England : Kent A few 'easy' hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
@GregCollins of this parish is arranging an ‘Hell of Ashdown’ ride on 8 December. Here’s the thread. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kent-e-sussex-an-hell-of-ashdown-66-miles-sat-8th-december.112696/
One or two of us - well, Mice really - thought that we could prepare ourselves for Greg’s Main Event by spending a couple of hours going up and down the North Downs. A sort of ‘training’ ride which takes in a selection of hills around Westerham, such as Hosey (an easy start), Toys (the cruel way, but with a great descent as a reward), Ide (the easy way), Yorks (the only way) and Brasted (the hard way). We’d start and end in Westerham where there are plenty of coffee shops and cafes for pre-and post ride refreshments. This is most definitely not the same route as Greg is arranging and would only be around 30 miles, but with a decent amount of climbing to make it worthwhile and a little taster of what the master has in store for us on the 8th. I would say the pace will be conversational but, frankly, conversation is the last thing on my mind when ascending those hills - breathing and avoiding coronaries has priority. Nearest stations to Westerham are Oxted and Dunton Green (both 30 – 45 mins from central London).
You can find some information about the featured climb - Yorks Hill - about half way down this page:
http://www.rapha.cc/ride-to-the-catford-hill-climb?locale=UK

The date will be 1 December – giving folks a week to recover before Greg’s Main Event. Cappuccinos at around 11.00am; oxygen a couple of hours later. If there’s enough interest I’ll recce the route, but I would expect it to be something like this…
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1845919
Anyone interested?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
At mile 27, the view from The Nower is brill.

gbs

Guru
Sorry to say but SWMBO has reminded me of guests for lunch that day. So, I will put hat on and wipe egg off face. I would be happy to join a recce ride - it will be new territory for me so I will not be able to contribute any local knowledge.

gbs

Guru
I was out that way for the first time yesterday. Very pretty and sharper hills generally than Surrey - try Cudham Hill, kicks up to 25%, when approaching from Downe. Good road conditions although many lanes are too narrow to allow a car to pass safely and I would be uncertain about being there by myself - a small group offers protection.
Westerham looks v pretty and as you say lots of cafes; avoid the "General Wolf" pub unless you prefer overdone beef drowned in industrial gravy -that was the only offering for sunday lunch. High Elms CP and Warlingham GC are good to visit for kaffepaus. End of my local knowledge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was out that way for the first time yesterday. Very pretty and sharper hills generally than Surrey - try Cudham Hill, kicks up to 25%, when approaching from Downe. Good road conditions although many lanes are too narrow to allow a car to pass safely and I would be uncertain about being there by myself - a small group offers protection.
Westerham looks v pretty and as you say lots of cafes; avoid the "General Wolf" pub unless you prefer overdone beef drowned in industrial gravy -that was the only offering for sunday lunch. High Elms CP and Warlingham GC are good to visit for kaffepaus. End of my local knowledge.

Are the 2 rabid dogs down the bottom of the hill still there?

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Hello. I'm postponing this ride until the Spring. I think with the leaves and the damp, some of the steeper descents will be treacherous at best. And the views will be better in the Spring too.
Cheers
Ross

thom

____
@thom are you still planning on doing the ROFL route at some point?
Can do - it's a similar area. Ended up doing it at short notice a couple of times in sep.
There will be the same risks of bad weather and slippy leaves. Shorter days don't help but if the weather is dry and sky clear, it would be a nice ride to do.

Top Bottom