A first Carbon wheel-set……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
I rate Hunt wheels highly. Yes, they are Chinese built from generic Chinese parts (mostly Novatec hubs and I think Kinlin rims), but my three pairs have performed flawlessly (2 x 4 Seasons and 1 x 50mm carbon). You can converse with them directly if you have an issue, as I did recently when I wanted to change to a different freehub and was unsure which one was needed, which was very helpful. Prices are good, quality is good, and service support excellent. They keep good stock of spares,too. I really don't understand the negativity.

As above, I've also got a pair of Wheelsmith 50mm carbon wheels and they have been excellent. More expensive though.

Having said all that, I, build my own wheels now, personal use and friends and family. It's not that difficult and very rewarding.


My own negativity is purely that the pair I had failed and some that came in to the shop that also had the same spoke/nipple failure, it did seem that they were pushing the low weight a bit far maybe, possibly got bigger quicker than expected and builds were rushed or were just victims of bad batches ; of course it's probably sorted now.

As you say though it is satisfying to build your own.
 
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
So I ended up ordering parts for the build through my LBS today: and am having them build them for me.

Ended up going for lightweight Novatech Hubs. *Very Light road biased hubs, proven quality, spares readily available etc

IMG_5686.jpeg


Mated to some Custom made Lightbicycle 50mm deep Carbon rims. Basically a rim from their Gravel range - so as to easily accommodate 38mm+ tyres. I chose weight of rider / gear, spoke count, finish, decal colour, matte, semi or gloss Carbon, lacquered or not, drain holes required etc etc. Only thing is with all this customising is they are made to order and will take 8 weeks to ship……🙃

IMG_5685.jpeg

And we’re mating them together with the amazing Sapim CX-rays spokes. Nuff said.

IMG_5688.jpeg


IMG_5687.jpeg


Looks like we’ll end up at around £700 the pair. Should be light, strong, reliable and will be hand made; from proven parts. I’m feeling good about it 😁
 
Last edited:

Animo

Über Member
Thanks for the vote of confidence ! 😁

Yours running well ? Had them long ?

A few years now. Been great. Certainly no complaints regarding the rims. They do a grooved brake track which is excellent as far as carbon rim brake wheels go. My rims are the AR series.
 
Top Bottom