A Head or "Threadless" head set question - the bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
In the long running saga of trying to get Mrs 26 comfortable on her bike I've now purchased a wot not that will allow an increase in height of the steerer tube (and hence raise her bars). Looking at the provided bolt which should screw into the star fangled washer to adjust the steering bearings I'm wondering if, when I take it all apart, I might be faced with a bolt which is too short (don't know how "deep" the star fangled washer is). I could take it all apart and find out but I'd rather be prepared and have a longer bolt to hand. So my main question is - what thread is it? And if anyone knows where I can find one so much the better.

TIA

Now the rant. Why do bike suppliers cut the steerer tube off before the purchaser is fitted to the bike? And if they must why not leave extra length for future adjustment (as I did with mine). :cursing:

OldShep

Über Member
Supplied bolt is usually long enough. Can’t help but think I could have had the old one out and checked depth of star fangled in the time it took you to write the question.

D

Deleted member 1258

I

Now the rant. Why do bike suppliers cut the steerer tube off before the purchaser is fitted to the bike? And if they must why not leave extra length for future adjustment (as I did with mine). :cursing:

I agree, a lot of bikes are supplied with the steerer too short, a steerer thats a little longer with a few more spacers on it will give us better options when we set the bike up.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Seems it's M6x1.0 So I've answered my own question. The bolt I have is 120 mm ish and it's tricky finding anything longer. So it's suck it and see time I think.
I could have had the old one out and checked depth of star fangled in the time it took you to write the question.

Yes most likely but then I may be finding ways of stalling. Rush jobs round here :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The star nut should be at a standard depth, determined by the star nut setting tool. It should never be an issue.

Removing and replacing a star nut is not difficult, anyway. To remove, you drill out the central threaded part (usually soft alloy) and then the two stars are easily flipped through 90 degrees and pulled out with pliers. Some silly people drive the old nut in deeper and fit the new one on top!

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Thanks everyone.
I've done the job now. The bolt that came with the wot not was plenty long enough. The star fangled nut wasn't very far in at all. Didn't measure but maybe 1/2". "Fine" adjustment of the handlebar raise was somewhat limited by the design of the wot not. So minimum raise was 2.5" which has brought her bars up to be more or less level with her saddle. To drop the bars at all would now require me to saw off even more of the steerer tube which I'm loath to do at this stage of sorting her out.

Top Bottom