A little advice on this bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesTaylor02

Hi all,

I have visited my local bike shop and I was recommended this bike (link goes directly to the shop's website):
http://www.cultracing.com/peleton.html

The bike I am looking at in particular is the first one on the list, the Peloton 2014, £699.

After speaking to one of the shop's co-owners, I believe that this is a good, quality bike and this seems to me that this is the bike that I want to invest in. I wanted to ask about it on the forum as well just so that I can make sure I understand what it is that the bike offers – i.e. what the numbers mean!

On top of this, I wanted to make sure that I have all the necessary accessories required when out on a ride. I have the following:
  1. Helment
  2. Cycling shorts
  3. Hi-vis jacket
  4. Multi-tool
  5. Lights
  6. Bike computer (in the form of my iPhone that I clamp onto my bike in a waterproof case)
I know that I need a pump, as well as spare inners, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for... My old mountain bike I've been able to use the conventional ball pumps but the valves on road bikes look very different to what I am accustomed to. I would guess that inners depend on the size of the tyres?

As far as I'm aware, I only need to get the inner tubes and a pump, is there anything else that I need?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Regards,
James.

:welcome: to CC.

Cube are a well regarded brand that haven't been in the UK for very long, (few years now IIRC), but have established themselves quickley by offering well specced bikes at reasonable prices.

When you say numbers, which numbers exactly are you unsure about?

Christopher

Über Member
hi
Looks well thought out machine, triple is a good idea for a begiiner to the road. Most important thing is the fit if the bike. Have you been able to test-ride it?
Yeh most road bikes use Presta valves. You need 25mm ones ofr that machine, shop should be able to sell you the right ones. Oh and get two bottle cages and bottles. Might want to consider a seatpack to hold the tools and spare tube.

OP
OP
J

JamesTaylor02

I should have made myself clearer, the numbers in reference to the specification of the bike - and why the bike I am looking at was described as a highly specified bike for the price.

I have yet to try the bike, but it is something I am able to do if I was to go in and ask.

50000tears

For inner tubes these are the type of thing you need that will fit your bike. The 700 is the tyre size for your bike and the tubes will be fine for whatever size (23 or 25mm) the width is.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-pack-of-5-inner-tubes/

Oh and when getting a presta pump make sure that it can inflate your tyres to the required pressure. The cheaper ones will only go to about 70 psi which is not enough. A must buy is a track pump which are around £10-£20 which stays at home and is the best way to ensure you are running at the right pressure. The hand held stays with you on the bike or in the back pocket on the rides. Good for emergencies but not ideal for keeping the tyres at the required pressure.

Last edited:

paul04

Über Member
Good advice from the other posts,
I have a small bag which sits under the seat, which holds a spare innertube,repair kit and a couple of tyre levers, and a small bike pump which sits next to the bottle cage.

I have a cheap basic bike computer on the bike, I do use my phone to track my miles(using the strava app) but keep my phone in my pocket, and not on the bike.

Link to saddle bag
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_979158_langId_-1_categoryId_165643

pplpilot

Guru
I know Cult very well I had my Kuota from them. You will not go far wrong parting with your hard earned to them. Be sure to tag along to the shop rides on Sat mornings, good crowd.

As for the bike I had one and loved it. I very very nearly had another up in the range but it was at the exact time they just had the first Kuota in so i went for that instead.

Can't fault the choice of bike.... was thinking of one of them myself but went for my Giant Defy... don't forget to pack a (good plastic) tyre lever as well as the tubes and pump.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I should have made myself clearer, the numbers in reference to the specification of the bike - and why the bike I am looking at was described as a highly specified bike for the price.

Might have been described as a highly specified bike for the price, but it is not.
The reality is that retailers such as PlanetX will do a bike with Tiagra components for the price of that Cube with Sora as such if your looking specifically at the specification of components its not highly specified.

I myself prefer brands which are not highly specified, so see nothing wrong with this.. But things are what they are.

OP
OP
J

JamesTaylor02

Thanks for all of your replies. In all honesty, I'm not completely spec driven, I just wanted to understand what they all actually mean and I'd actually be getting a somewhat decent bike.

The multi-tool I have has all the kind of stuff that I would need whilst out and about, tyre levers and the like. I'm guessing the best place to find the type of pump people have suggested is from a bike shop or the internet?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for all of your replies. In all honesty, I'm not completely spec driven, I just wanted to understand what they all actually mean and I'd actually be getting a somewhat decent bike.

The multi-tool I have has all the kind of stuff that I would need whilst out and about, tyre levers and the like. I'm guessing the best place to find the type of pump people have suggested is from a bike shop or the internet?

I have a small pump on the bike which I got from Decathlon for £15. Might be worth a visit if you have one near you as they do some good budget stuff. I notice that Tesco do some track pumps for £15/20 which look reasonable. They also have other bike gear which you may find useful.

I'm guessing the best place to find the type of pump people have suggested is from a bike shop or the internet?
Yup, internet is generally cheapest but at the same time never under estimate the power of a good LBS relationship.

Get a Topeak JOEBLOW trackpump for at home use, FWIW I use THIS one now, but I still have an old Decathlon track pump as well like THIS which still works perfectly after 5 years, and get a Co2 pump for roadside repair, I use one like THIS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JamesTaylor02

Yup, internet is generally cheapest but at the same time never under estimate the power of a good LBS relationship

Absolutely, that's why I'm happy I have cult racing round the corner! I go in there a fair bit picking their brains as well as signing up to here to ask many others who know more than I do!

Top Bottom