A little help from the experts?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay so i'm currently training(getting fit) to go on my first bike ride....ever.....and i know it's recommended that you start off small but i've already planned and decided my route. From my little house in County Durham, England, It's going to take me along the full Coast to Coast route and then loops around onto the User9609 route, all in all it's around 310 miles for me.

Pretty long bike ride! But im in no hurry, i can take (to an extent) my time, and enjoy the scenery.

So my training schedule at the minute is pretty hectic, i'm an ameteur boxer so do intense boxing training 6 days a week, obviously that's not enough variety for the task in hand, seems as though it's completely unrelated exercise, but it keeps me raging fit when it comes to stamina and all round strength. On top of that I do 4 intense sessions at the gym every week, concentrating purely on leg work and cardio. I spend my weekends long distance jogging/walking with my doggy (ranges from 5 to 10 miles) and just lately i go for a swimming session on a sunday. Can anyone suggest any different types of exercise(other than cycling itself) that'll benefit me more?

So all in all i'm pretty fit. But it doesn't change the fact i'm not bike fit, i've never cycled more than 5 miles in a day, and i have no idea abouts bikes at all, the most i can do is adjust the seat, put the chain back on and change tyres.

I need to be fully prepared, i need a bike... FAST!!! So i can start getting used to long distance cycling. But don't know what to look for at all, i don't know what brands/makes to consider, i dont know the difference between cheap parts and decent parts and my worst nightmare would be getting half way round and my bike deciding it doesn't want to go any further! =/ I also would find it very helpful if i could get hold of a sort of...kitlist, what i'll need for my journey!

helphelphelp!!:tongue:

Plax

Guru
Can't really help on the exercise front, I think you're pretty much doing way more than your average cyclist on these boards. You'll just have to concentrate on getting the miles in first, perhaps practice spinning (turbo sessions at the gym perhaps?). I think the key for you is to practice long distance milage and getting your pace and food correct for your journey. You'll not want to hare off at the speed of light with hardly any food or you'll really struggle.

As for kit etc, browse through the Touring & Expedition board, they usually get asked that one quite a lot and a posters will often post their kit list . I think the key is to pack little and light. So if you're campling for example get the lightest tent & camping gear you can afford for your money.

As for bikes, depends what style of riding you're going to do long term but I'd go for a touring or audax bike (possibly even a hybrid if it's the right spec) rather than a road bike, or MTB. Gearing - avoid stuff like Shimano SIS as it's cheap crap. You want something middle of the road. I think most Audax and touring bikes will have MTB gearing which I believe from top to bottom goes;
XTR
XT/Saint
SLX
Deore
Alivio
Acera
SIS
I mean, if you're not going to use the bike after or you think you'll just probably go off roading then by all means get a MTB and put slicks on instead of the knobblies. I'm fairly new to MTB territory so you'd have to double check with the manufacturer if you can fit a pannier rack on it. I'm sure you probably could with most although you might get problems with fitting it to a bike with disc brakes.
As for brands of bike I find that the type of gearing it has usually determines its adequacy. So a bike with SIS that cost £50 from Tesco is likely to have other cheap components and fall apart very quickly.

Good luck and welcome to Cycle Chat!

Top Bottom