A little stub on my speedster s20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikerchippy

Hey i have just recently got a scott speedster and as this is my first road bike and i love it, i just wanna go out on it all the time.

Theirs 2 things i have questions with,

1. has anyone got any tips/technique on using the gears as when i hit a hill i almost come to a stand still even if im in the lowest gear and peddaling like a mad man, do u think i just need to build strength up or am i doing something wrong.

2. On the rear fork just above the gear set theirs a little stub/rivet thing, what is it for? i just cant work it out.

I am also attempting another 75 mile charity ride this year, i done it 2 years ago on a moutain bike and i loved it, im hoping it will be easier with this new bike :biggrin: what would ppl recommend for my trainning as regards to building stamina up and strength.

PS im new to using the clips on the shoes and surprisingly have picked it up quickly :laugh: i wanna go riding now but it raining :biggrin:

Thanks for all ur help, what a great forum :ohmy:

adscrim

Veteran
1. Is it a double or a triple? When you're coming to a standstill is it because you can pedal no further or is it because you're spinning away but moving slowly? If it's the former, as with most things, the more you do the easier it gets. Try to anticipate hills and changing so that you have a better chance at keeping your momentum up.

2. Sounds like a chain hanger. When the rear wheel is off you can hang the chain on here to keep things a little more tidy.

PS you can cycle in the rain too!

OP
OP
B

bikerchippy

hey its a triple, its strange i just seems to be pedaling fast but going no where, like u said the more i go on my bike the more i will get better, i got a spinning class at 1 today so that should all help towards getting stonger.just had a look and think ur right about the stub, it looks in the right place :biggrin: and it looks like the chain will fit on to it, thanks

If you are pedalling like mad then you need to get a bit more power into your legs in order to turn a bigger gear.

Try and set aside a bit of time and use the bike as you would a piece of gym equipment -doing reps uphill - in order to build up the muscles.

shippers

If you're tootling along on the flat, chances are you're using the biggest ring at the front. As you hit the hill, flick onto the second ring and see how that treats you. You'll slow down a bit- it's about finding the balance between pedalling too fast and not being able to move the pedals at all.

longers

Legendary Member
accountantpete said:
Try and set aside a bit of time and use the bike as you would a piece of gym equipment -doing reps uphill - in order to build up the muscles.

Good advice, it doesn't have to be a serious session but you can make every ride a training ride by not overdoing it too much, unless you want to, and get plenty of rest as well.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Welcome to the forum . I have a Speedster Triple . On the steepest hills I will be down to about 6mph using the smallest chain ring at the front (the "granny ring") with the biggest cog at the back,(1st gear).

On not so steep hills I either stay in the middle front chain ring or use the smallest front chain ring with 2nd or 3d gear at the back.

If you feel you are pedalling too fast and easy just change up a gear or two or shift to the middle ring until it feels right.

At least you are doing ok with the clipless.Its taken me a long time and I still dont feel 100percent confident.

Good Luck and congratulations on your choice of bike :-)

My speedster
012-3.jpg

Ps I wondered what the stub was for.

OP
OP
B

bikerchippy

lol banjo we both know what it is for now, it was really bugging me, im just going to try and get on my bike at least 3 times a week and go to the gym aswell, im hoping i can build my strength up, what is really puzziling me is when i did the 75 miles in 2008 i did NO training, hadnt been on a bike for years, jumped str8 on and did it, then 75 miles didnt seem alot but now it feels like 4 ever, suppose im more nervous i dont know lol strange really but i was impressed i did it with no training

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Try to anticipate the hill and get into the correct gear to climb it before you hit it, this way you reduce the chance of hitting it and stalling losing all of your momentum.

MLC

I think I know what you mean as I have recently purchased a triple and had a similar thing happen to me. I was riding a double before that and can't remember it happenning but it may be a jump between too big a gear and too small a gear you just lose all momentum.

I have not worked out my gearing on the triple yet by just feel but I am getting there.

It is all down to anticipation you will soon know what gear to be in and when and you will get a feel for it with practise. When on my double I would move down to the smaller front ring and the back would be about middle then I would just click down as I needed to until I run out of gears or puff whatever came first (normally the latter). I prefer to spin up a hill others prefer a slow grind and it us all about doing whatever feels right for you.

Unfortunately that just means getting out there and just trying different ways eventually you will get what works for you. Go up and down Hog Hill a few times and you will soon get it.

Good luck

Top Bottom