A nice 3 day cycle adventure in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hi,

I've magically got 3 days to spare next week, and i want to use that to go cycling for 3 days somewhere in the UK.

I have no idea though. Perhaps Wales? I'd rather say in hostels or B'nBs. But could camp I guess. Rather not though.

Ideally, if there is somewhere we could stay and do loops from over 3 days, that'd be ideal.

Can anyone help?

thanks

jay clock

Massive member
Norfolk if you want flat. Good train connections, and plenty of accommodation.

mcr

Veteran
jay clock said:
Norfolk if you want flat. Good train connections, and plenty of accommodation.

Watch out for ongoing rail strikes in E Anglia, though.

If you're based SE of London, then Wales is a bit of a slog to get to and from for only three days' riding (or can you travel outside those days?). How about head west from home as far as you can and then get back by train? Nice riding in Sussex and Hampshire away from the coastal conurbations.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Me and a few mates are doing a version of the Coast to Coast this weekend. From Carlisle to Alnmouth via the Reivers, Coast and Castles and a bit we've made up between Kielder and Jedburgh. We're taking three days for it.

Hope you have a good time whatever route you pick.

andym

Über Member
Kent (there was a thread about touring in Kent recently. Or Dorset. Or Sussex. Or Norfolk/Sussex coast. All within a couple of hours by train of London so you can be on the road at lunchtime (assuming you are leaving during the week and have to travel off-peak)..

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Suffolk. Quiet (well-made) roads, great views despite being almost flat, pretty villages, seaside, a better class of driver. No big towns - you can be out of Ipswich in fifteen minutes, and out of almost any other town in three. Excellent train service, but watch out for the strike dates and work between Manningtree and Witham over the bank holiday weekend.

My other suggestion would be the eastern side of Essex - but Auntie Helen would be a far better guide than I.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Cheers people.

Wales is a bit of a trek, so I probably wont. I might have access to a car, so transport shouldnt be a problem, although the train is the better thing to do (assuming the ticket office dont try and rape my wallet when I buy a ticket).

I'm looking at Norfolk though. Are B and B's difficult to book there does anyone know? Any recommended routes?

andym

Über Member
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
I'm looking at Norfolk though. Are B and B's difficult to book there does anyone know? Any recommended routes?

Bear in mind that it's peak holiday season. The north Norfolk coast (Hunstanton etc) is very popular (rightly so). The B&Bs probably will get booked up, at least at weekends, so it's definitely worth calling/booking ahead. Cromer has more choice and could be less booked up. There's a Youth Hostel at Cley-next-the-Sea.

As far as routes are concerned you could do a lot worse than follow the NCN from King's Lynn via Sandringham to the northern coast (day 1) and then dawdle back along the coast (day 2) then maybe cut inland. Alternatively, if you have a bike that can hack a bit of gentle off-road, there's the Peddar's Way although it can be a bit overgrown at points.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

A late response, but thanks for all your replies. I ended up doing a made-up loop from Norwich to Sherngham, through Holt and around Holkem.

Booking accomodation was impossible thanks to a badminton tournament happening then. But I managed to get into a B+B in Holt, run by a very nice elderly couple. Will do this again, but better organised

Top Bottom