A question for ex smokers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reefcat

Reefcat

Some great replies, thank you guys.

My fitness prior to stopping smoking was pretty much non existent, so I'm starting from a very low level. We are already riding for longer & further than we could have imagined when we started. We've just done a 25k ride, which would have been unthinkable just a few weeks ago. We're using Trek 7.3FX hybrids at the moment, although we are thinking of maybe looking at road bikes if we want to start doing some longer distances. Think we'll see how it goes over the coming months.

Lots of hills here, so lots of stops on the way up them, although we are getting further up before stopping almost every ride. From your comments it seems that it's just a question of time & effort for the most part.

Inspiring stuff - thank you :smile:

contadino

Veteran
I quit smoking a couple of years ago and would say my experience matches yours. Yes, hills are where you feel it the most. Yes, they gradually get easier. Yes, smoking screws up your circulation as much as your respiratory system, so you'll feel it on the legs too.

You're doing all the right things.

The only advice I can give is to treat it like a ratchet. Each time you conquer a particular hill or route, remember it. Next time you come to it, you know there is no need to stop.

The key to increasing distance is building a good knowledge of tea shop locations.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
GF and I gave up 6 years ago next Feb. Never felt better. Granddaughter,5 & 7, have never known us as smokers. That was one of our motivations. Hopefully they'll never think it a good idea.
When we see folks smoking now we can't believe we once looked that foolish. It is getting less and less common. But we still get kids taking to it. We still have a group at school who we see across the field who come back after break and lunch stinking.

Fisheh

Smoked for 30 years and stopped 10 years ago come 15th of May 2016. When I quit the thing that they said takes the longest to get back to normal is your lungs. Apparently after 10 years they are like you have never smoked .

When I stopped I got a very bad chest infection very common after stopping and I needed antibiotics, so watch out for that one .

I started to run when I quit and I would say that it took probably 6 months to get a reasonable lung function(it was a week by week improvement so kept me motivated) then it continued to improve at a slower rate.

One thing for sure you will improve and you will feel better :-) and congratulations on quitting.

Happy new year all....

OP
OP
Reefcat

Reefcat

The only advice I can give is to treat it like a ratchet. Each time you conquer a particular hill or route, remember it. Next time you come to it, you know there is no need to stop.

The key to increasing distance is building a good knowledge of tea shop locations.

Excellent advice thank you :smile:

We're just off on a 20k ride to a lovely bar in the countryside, tuna salad there, then back home. First proper time out on the new road bikes, so really looking forward to seeing how we get on.

david k

Hi
Gave up smoking after 44 years six months ago. Feeling so much better for it, no wheezing at night, no coughing, wish I had been able to do it much earlier. Now 60 years old and wanting to try and make up for some of the damage done & regain a little fitness.

My wife and I started cycling a couple of months ago & we are trying to get out every other day or so. The countryside around here is pretty hilly & at the moment it's a bit of a competition between the lungs and the legs to see what gives up first. We did a 25k ride today, loved it, great scenery but lots of hills. We're having to stop & recover very frequently on the climbs, with me it's the breathing, although the quads are usually burning at about the same time.

I appreciate it is very early days and we have some hard work ahead of us, but my question relates to ex smokers in particular. What were your experiences when you gave up smoking & started cycling? Did your breathing become easier over time as you got fitter, if so, how long did it take to make a noticeably difference?

Thanks for reading :smile:
I always find hills hard, although not related to smoking I use a low gear, spin fairly fats and go up slowly, you'd be surprised how much easier it can make it and if you don't fixate on speed you enjoy the climb

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well done for giving up.

I'm not a smoker but if it helps, that nausea, the breathlessness, the dead legs....they are sensations that everyone gets, so don't be too hard on yourself. Its amazing how hard riding is to begin with. Pretty soon you will be purring along, in the sunshine, wondering why it was all so hard.

If you think you enjoy it now...just wait til that happens.

Good luck

Top Bottom